Lightweight spinning 3-15g.

Fenix

I have borrowed a shimano telespin rod from a mate to try out, its the 1.65m one that casts 3-15g. Having put a smallish fixed spool reel on it I am now a bit lost as to what line, wire trace, snap links, and spinners / plugs to use. Have spent quiet a bit of the evening trying to research this but cant find much detail about the specifics of line selection and how ro connect it all together. Any pointers for info or guidance would be gratefully received. I really want to target perch and other small predators, but am fully aware that pike will also have a go, and want to be prepared for them.

Cheers

Jon

I would suggest using powerpro line and 20lb B/S with a 15lb powerpro hooklength unless you plan to stay at the lower end of the weight range and then 15lb and 10lb.

I am useless on all but the lure part but hopefully I can offer some suggestions there.

I like to use single, light wire hooks for u/l fishing. The hooks will bend if they get too much pressure so you could land a 4-5 lb fish if you were careful but a 20lb fish would simply bend the hook straight and be off, none the worse for the experience. If you crush the barb then in my opinion you would not even need wire since any pike that broke you off could quickly get rid of the lure. You will probably hear from others who do not agree.

The wonderful thing about the small lures to use with the u/l gear is that they are not at all expensive and not using wire will greatly increase your chances of takes by perch.

I have no idea about sourcing the small lures in the UK but these links give you some ideas of ones that work for me and you can purchase from the US sites if you can't find them locally or if they are too expensive locally. Note that 'crappie' in the lure name or description is not a comment on quality but the name of a US species that responds best to a delicate presentation and lure.

Cloths pin style spinners

Head Spinner

spinner1.jpg

spinner2.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Cheers for all the info, havent heard of finesse angling before, but sounds like exactlly what I am trying to achieve. Will have a hunt around for some suitable brade and trace.

If there are pike present where you are fishing then always use wire

If your worried abotu presentation i.e for perch there are a lot of fine diameter wires available now which are good

Sorry Neil, I have to disagree, although I applaud your attitude.

Using wire can definitely cut down on the number of perch.

I’m happy to dispense with wire when perch fishing provided I’m using just a single hook. In my experience pike have very little trouble in getting rid of such a hook. Indeed, in one case I was bitten off by a pike that had a growth under its chin. Later on the same afternoon I landed the same pike – and there was no sign of the hook. This is very far from an isolated incidence, but because of the growth I can be certain of the facts in this instance.

What’s more, that fish was caught on one of the best pike baits – worm! In fact I’ve often written that if I were ever to fish a pike match twitched worm would be my first choice of bait.

Perhaps then I may be permitted to turn this question on its head? Would those of you who advocate wire do so when fishing worm for perch – or for that matter any other species? After all, isn't the principle the same……?

On the other hand, if the lure has a treble hook then I always use a wire trace.

I'd very much recommend one made from 49 strand wire and no more than 15lbs b.s. Rather than repeating myself, do a search for 49 strand wire - this should throw up a lot of information on its benefits.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Right, that's done it, twitched jelly worms for pike from now on!

Strawberry or orange flavour??

Are there any good books that cover lure fishing using lightweight lures? Fancy a bedtime read.

Strawberry or orange flavour??

Are there any good books that cover lure fishing using lightweight lures? Fancy a bedtime read.

try supatress if there is a chance of pike

not for me ill admit but a few freinds use it for small lures and fly fishing for pike

24lb seven strand where pike are for me im afraid and if i loose out on the perch so be it

where there are no pike present im trying with a fair bit of succes 40lb flourocarbon as its very tangle free and extremely robust and doesnt seem to put anything of so far