Lightweight spinning 3-15g.

Fenix

Are there any good books that cover lure fishing using lightweight lures? Fancy a bedtime read.

Not being sarcastic but basically it is the same as lure fishing using regular lures except that

- your rods need to be smaller and lighter to handle the weight

- you can't throw the lure as far

- the lures, if a sinking one, sinks slower

Say what fish you want and what sort of water and we can probably offer some advice.

This is a good article and UK based.

You can find more with a google search for terms like the one I used to find it which was

book ultra light lure fishing

but just as the sources in that one are US, so will most of the articles be as well since u/l is a rarely used technique in the UK even though it is really effective.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sorry Neil, I have to disagree, although I applaud your attitude.

Using wire can definitely cut down on the number of perch.

I’m happy to dispense with wire when perch fishing provided I’m using just a single hook. In my experience pike have very little trouble in getting rid of such a hook. Indeed, in one case I was bitten off by a pike that had a growth under its chin. Later on the same afternoon I landed the same pike – and there was no sign of the hook. This is very far from an isolated incidence, but because of the growth I can be certain of the facts in this instance.

What’s more, that fish was caught on one of the best pike baits – worm! In fact I’ve often written that if I were ever to fish a pike match twitched worm would be my first choice of bait.

Perhaps then I may be permitted to turn this question on its head? Would those of you who advocate wire do so when fishing worm for perch – or for that matter any other species? After all, isn't the principle the same……?

On the other hand, if the lure has a treble hook then I always use a wire trace.

I'd very much recommend one made from 49 strand wire and no more than 15lbs b.s. Rather than repeating myself, do a search for 49 strand wire - this should throw up a lot of information on its benefits.

I'm really referring to the use of wire with lures & deadbaits as well (where trebles are used) as it's not going to be pleasant for a pike (or perch) to be swimming around with their gut sewn up not able to eat.

Interesting theory on the twitched worm, TBH from the amount of pike I hear being caught on everyting except deads/lives I should really give it a go!

I'm really referring to the use of wire with lures & deadbaits as well (where trebles are used) as it's not going to be pleasant for a pike (or perch) to be swimming around with their gut sewn up not able to eat.

Interesting theory on the twitched worm, TBH from the amount of pike I hear being caught on everyting except deads/lives I should really give it a go!

I was reading a book from the early 70's last week, the writer recommended when fishing for perch not to use a wire trace but to take 3 lengths of 6-7lb mono, twist together and tie top middle and bottom, then boil in water for 2 mins, allow to cool and make into a trace!!!

I could not work out the logic in this but he claimed it gave good presentation and also prevented bite offs from Pike.

Interesting, has anyone else come across this or seen it in use.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Neil G - no one on this topic was advocating "no wire" with trebles or deadbait. From my reply #2 which brought your statement about ALWAYS using wire

I like to use single, light wire hooks for u/l fishing. The hooks will bend if they get too much pressure so you could land a 4-5 lb fish if you were careful but a 20lb fish would simply bend the hook straight and be off, none the worse for the experience. If you crush the barb then in my opinion you would not even need wire since any pike that broke you off could quickly get rid of the lure. You will probably hear from others who do not agree.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Neil G - no one on this topic was advocating "no wire" with trebles or deadbait. From my reply #2 which brought your statement about ALWAYS using wire

Fair enough

Still don't really see the point in snapping off on big fish when you don't have to though!

Horses for courses eh

The real ultra light lures (0.5 gm to about 4 gm) won't perform with the extra weight of even the lightest of wire leaders.