The CA and Angling.

Peter Waller

Jim, you are going off at a tangent my friend.

As a matter of interest, and I have highlighted it before, I don't choose to livebait. It is a moral decision, I feel uncomfortable doing so. Pike anglers have demanded that silver fish anglers return pike. In return I believe we should all return potential livebait for others to catch. That is my choice. I will support my fellow anglers re this issue.

Jim, we are fast going off the tracks here. Re the inuendo, et tu brute!

Take care Jim, we are both on the same side, unfortunately we do not agree on who should fight our battles. Personally I think we should fight our own in this instance.

[ 11. August 2002, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the 'family-tree' of country sports on the CA website, you'll notice that Fishing is in by far the most prominent place and hunting with hounds in the least prominent. Participation for the latter is given as about 300,000 (though presumably there will be quite a bit of overlap between the different sorts of hunting), while fishing participation is given as over 3 million (coarse fishing by far most popular obviously). On the other hand, I would be surprised to discover that membership of the CA reflects these figures (eg 11 to 1 angling/hunting; 8 to 1 coarse fishing/hunting; 20:1 fishing/foxhunting).

Now...if I stick my cynical hat on I start to think, who exactly is 'helping' who here? Who stands to benefit most from lumping the two together? At the moment, if someone not knowing a chub from a ferret happened to look at the site they would come away with the impression that angling is the flagship and frontline of the CA. Is everyone happy with that?

[ 11. August 2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: DMCA ]

NO I'm not happy about that :mad: :mad: :mad:

It highlights the CA tactic of hiding its less than savoury aspects behind the apron strings of others. WE ARE BEING USED AND WE ARE BEING CYNICALLY ABUSED :mad: :mad: :mad:

We are being dragged onboard a sinking ship. It is a recognised CA tactic to put others in the firing line ahead of fox hunting. Lets put angling in the sacrificial firing line and maybe people won't notice fox hunting hidden away at the back there somewhere! Who is our biggest enemy, CA or PETA?

[ 11. August 2002, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Hunting and shooting have been fighting a rear-guard action for years, with little bits gradually being chipped away all the time. This has not all occurred due to direct frontal assaults and a lot has been done in the name of conservation and security by making things more expensive eg. non-lead shot.

Angling is just starting to experience this, ie 'minority' live-baiting. Just a start!

It does no good for unity to start off by referring to other peoples 'barbaric' practices and then say we are all on the same side.

It is claimed that support from Angling Times readers for the CA has gone up from 2% to 40% in 2 years. The contributers to this thread would suggest an even higher rate of support.

It's a strong man that never needs help from his neighbours, especially when there are marauders in the area.

Just like Peter Waller does not live-bait, I do not hunt, other than watch along with a lot more , but I will give those who do both, all the help I can. If it's bums on seats to be counted that they want on September 22nd then I'll be there.

Jim Roper

http://www.march-info.org

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Six!

I agree with everything Peter Waller has said, to the point that I feel that I can no longer support any organisation that supports the CA. If, thanks to Bob James, that includes the ACA, then so be it.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

During the march, when interviewed, I wonder how many CA supporters will be saying something like "angling is more cruel than hunting" - its been said before, and I'm sure it will be said again! They want us for numbers and NOTHING ELSE!

Hunting with hounds, I'm sure, WILL be banned! Thats all the fox hunters gone from its membership, all the stag hunters, all those that hunt with the beagles and the bassetts, and hare coursers will off too! Possibly leaving a handfull of game anglers!

Because for sure - none of these will be around to support the anglers then! Where does that leave us then?

Fight on our own, I say! And ditch the CA NOW!

We, through our representative bodies, should be publically stating that we have nothing to do with the CA and that they do NOT represent us in any way!

[ 11. August 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: mpbdsnu ]

Ok Ok, lets fight on our own, and lose as we have just done on the livebaiting issue.

Now if we had asked the CA to fight that issue it may have turned out a lot different

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

With all respect Den, I think that decision was made long ago! In fact, if we think about it - just where were the CA? Did they make any attempt to fight our corner in a similar fashion to the way in which they expect us to fight their's!

Over the whole livebaiting issue, they were, in my opinion, conspicuous by their absence!

[ 11. August 2002, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: mpbdsnu ]

Having been told to keep their noses out of our business, and agreed to it, what would expect them to do?

If they had intervened they would have probably have ended up getting the blame.

Angling has failed in the first serious fight they have had, I ask again, who and where is the NAA? Could anyone write a letter on their behalf?

Could they write one on our behalf?

I think we already know the answer. :(

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den, re the NAA, you are quite right. Lets hope they have learned their lesson, please.

But should we turn to the CA as our saviour? They have set themselves up and offered to fight our battles, why? Out of the goodness of their hearts? Or do they want something in return? There's not much for free in this uncharitable world of ours you know.

Den, why do they want to help us? Might it not be that we are being lead to the slaughter, as sacrificial lambs?

[ 12. August 2002, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]