The CA and Angling.

Peter Waller

How about all 6,000,000 anglers chipping in £1 and let someone give it to a political party on their behalf.

The choice to be unanimous!!

That will find out whose side people are really on.

It won't be as much as the CA have at their disposal, but it's a lot more than Bernie Ecclestone needed to secure help.

I never saw any evidence that he ever presented the cheque, that he was given back, for clearence. Was that all just SPIN?

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.com/FishList.htm

http://www.thisisdorset.net

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for him. It's just a shame about some of the company that he keeps.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I will admit to not having read this thread word for word, so please excuse me if I've missed the point, but...

I live in the country.

I work for very nice farmers (arable, mainly, but with a few rare breeds - they don't hunt).

I fish.

Why shouldn't I qualify as a possible supporter of the CA?

Do we have to believe in something 100% to support it? If so, I probably don't support anything in any area of my life.

As it happens, my eyes have been opened to a wider spectrum since I joined the 'Village People'. I've seen a fox vixen and her cubs laying dead from poison (the 'ethical' alternative to hunting - whatever you may think, foxes are pests in many areas, just like rats, magpies, etc.). I've seen farmers in tears when there animals have gone off to slaughter to feed the likes of me (Yes, they do have feelings just like the rest of us!).

Oh, and I've seen this country being ritually shafted by the so-called "do gooders" that think that generations spawned by centuries of independence should be "governed" by faceless men and women in suits who know nothing of life outside their sheltered, middle to upper class upbringings. They claim to be the champions of the poor, yet they are the ones forcing them out of jobs! :mad:

Oh, and I've seen anglers jumping on many band wagons, too. If you really are that concerned, don't stick hooks in fish. True, if done properly it doesn't harm them - they don't have the same nervous systems as us. But to claim that one bunch of people is cruel for chasing animals around fields and killing one in fifty (or whatever the figure is) is cruel whilst impaling live fish/dead fish/maggots/worms/etc. on hooks in order to drag a fish out of its natural environment and take a photo of it is natural, is plain weird.

We are human beings. Isn't it about time that we accepted that we are part of nature?

Now I'm really going to confuse matters - I don't hunt. Personally, I don't like the thought of hunting. I wouldn't do it. I don't want to. However, I'm not going to be hypocritical about it. I sometimes buy frozen deadbaits - anyone care to explain how those fish died?

Time for bed,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Brilliant Elton. It is precisely this attitude that one normaly sees here in the U.S. Hunters support fishermen, fishermen support hunters, even if we don't do both.(most of us, however, do).

It is just how things are done.

Elton:

I will admit to not having read this thread word for word, so please excuse me if I've missed the point, but...

I live in the country.

I work for very nice farmers (arable, mainly, but with a few rare breeds - they don't hunt).

I fish.

Why shouldn't I qualify as a possible supporter of the CA?

Do we have to believe in something 100% to support it? If so, I probably don't support anything in any area of my life.

As it happens, my eyes have been opened to a wider spectrum since I joined the 'Village People'. I've seen a fox vixen and her cubs laying dead from poison (the 'ethical' alternative to hunting - whatever you may think, foxes  are  pests in many areas, just like rats, magpies, etc.). I've seen farmers in tears when there animals have gone off to slaughter to feed the likes of me (Yes, they  do  have feelings just like the rest of us!).

Oh, and I've seen this country being ritually shafted by the so-called "do gooders" that think that generations spawned by centuries of independence should be "governed" by faceless men and women in suits who know nothing of life outside their sheltered, middle to upper class upbringings. They claim to be the champions of the poor, yet they are the ones forcing them out of jobs!   :mad:  

Oh, and I've seen anglers jumping on many band wagons, too. If you really are  that  concerned, don't stick hooks in fish. True, if done properly it doesn't harm them - they don't have the same nervous systems as us. But to claim that one bunch of people is cruel for chasing animals around fields and killing one in fifty (or whatever the figure is) is cruel whilst impaling live fish/dead fish/maggots/worms/etc. on hooks in order to drag a fish out of its natural environment and take a photo of it is natural, is plain weird.

We are human beings. Isn't it about time that we accepted that  we  are part of nature?

Now I'm really going to confuse matters - I don't hunt. Personally, I don't like the thought of hunting. I wouldn't do it. I don't want to. However, I'm not going to be hypocritical about it. I sometimes buy frozen deadbaits - anyone care to explain how those fish died?

Time for bed,

Elton

Well said Elton, exactly my attitude.

Yes I will have a dig at carp anglers/barbel toffs, 4rod men etc but when the chips are down we are all sportsmen in our own way, and I will help fight their corner if possible.

I do livebait, and carp fish, and barbel fish, and shoot, and enjoy watching the modern farmer at work with the huge and vastly expensive machinery, I have now had the opportunity to see at very close hand a full year of farming and I think I have a real inkling into how proud these men and women must feel when they survey their land in the different stages of ploughing sowing and harvesting.

The countryside in all its aspects is under threat from all sides,so it makes sense to all fight together, and if, like me, you cant/wont get involved on a personal level, at least join and pay a few bob to someone who will.

The RSSG is open to all and is pledged to fight for ALL river anglers, so I joined, simple ennit?

Den

[ 13. August 2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

On the 24th of this month I'm going to a fund raiser for the CA. I am a friend of the local chair who tells me that the event is a sell out, the reason is that the CA don't all particularly agree with each other, far from it in some cases, but they do believe that there is a problem, that it needs addressing, and that money is needed to do this.

I don't agree with all their views, but I too agree that there is a problem and that something needs addressing. Hence i am attending.

I do not take part as an angler, but as someone who cares about the countryside environment, from the mess I see left around pegs that is more than can be said for many anglers.

I believe in a right to shoot my own food, protect my land and stock and to fish.No one else stands up for those rights, so the CA will continue to get my support, no apologies, no excuses..............

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

I have to agree with the general sentiments shown in these posts. We as anglers should fight, if needed, our own fights. Angling covers all walks of life, from the kid in the inner city who fishes in the local canal stretch to the salmon and fly fishermen who have ghillies to help them. I am sure that there are people who are in the latter example who support the ca too. However we as a whole should NOT be conned into thinking that the ca are going to be our saviours. In my opinion, the ca see us as cannon fodder. "Get the anglers on board so that we are not seen as elitist. They have poor people too who will help us." No we mustn't. We need to look after ourselves!

I am proud to say that I vote labour and have done since I was old enough to do so. However this does not mean I agree with everything they do. Far from it. This needs to be seen as a non-political item. Don't just roll over and accept any ban that MAY occur, but don't let's get swept up in an organisation that just wants to use us.

This is how I feel about things.

Mark

Until fairly recently fox-hunting was a legal pursuit and the general public knew about it but didn't concern themselves with it. Then the antis decided to explain to the general public how cruel and barbaric it was. They forgot to mention how cruel and barbaric the alternative means of control would be, but they convinced the general public and , more importantly, the politicians, that fox-hunting should be banned and it will be.

I don't fox-hunt, have never wanted to, but I fish and I know how difficult it is to explain that fishing is not cruel. But that is something we are all going to have to get used to doing. Does anyone on this forum honestly believe that the antis will not turn on fishing, once fox-hunting is gone?

I fear that the vast majority of anglers have the attitude that there are too many of us for a fishing ban to become reality. Even on this thread the figure of six million has been quoted. On the "Number of active anglers in the UK today" thread 7 million is the number. Get real! Wake up guys! There were just over a million licences purchased last year. That's the number! Not six, not seven, but one million. There are sea anglers, of course, I have no idea of their numbers, but a lot will also coarse fish and would therefore figure in the licence numbers. There are more who do not purchase a licence, but don't rely on them in a fight!!

Will the CA support us when fox-hunting has been banned? I don't know. Are they using us to swell their numbers? Probably. We may find extra numbers helpful too, in a few years time!