The CA and Angling.

Peter Waller

Hard to believe, only a bit over a million licenses sold.

We sell about 2.5 million a year here in Michigan, out of a much smaller population(less than 10 million total).

Maybe the anti's feel confident because of either a much smaller percentage of fisherman in the population over there, or worse, maybe only a fraction of your fisherman bother to buy licenses!

Here, our license and tax dollars go towards an extensive system of state and federal hatcheries, as well as fisheries development, protection, endangered species protection, and environmental services and protection, and law enforcment. Our state DNR is fully is supportive of angling, and the 50 million dollars plus per year just from license fees all goes directly to the development, and protection, of a large variety of natural fisheries.

Beyond that, severalorganizations such as the MUCC-Michigan United Conservation Clubs and others, with nearly a million aggregate full and associate members donate million of dollars yearly, and hundreds of thousands of man=hours yearly, to both private and state directed projects to benefit fisheries, fishing, and the habitat.

And this is JUST in Michigan. There are 49 other states, all of which have to a greater or lesser degree similar organization.

Even such divers nationl groups as BASS, Trout Unlimited, the Nature Conservancy, and the National Rifle Association!, have worked TOGETHER on several projects, often which have no direct bearing on their own particular aspect of outdoor sport.

You notice, I did not mention a single overriding national group here in the states. With 50 states, and tens of thousands of local, state, and national groups, we don't have one. But one is not really needed here because there is a history of cooperation between the many and varied outdoor groups, and peoples, when the chips are down, we do pull together and put up a fairly strong united front.

This is why the anti's, try as they might, have a very difficult time of it over here.

Not to sound preachy, but this is the kind of organization, and more importantly, cooperation, that you really need to develope over your way.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter,

You liked my last quote, perhaps you will like this one also.

When the British so viciously invaded our colonies after we declared independence :D Ben Franklin wrote:

"Let us all hang together, for surly we will hang alone"

Phone

What happened to my spell checker????

[ 13. August 2002, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: phonebush ]

Since I only just came across this, I thought there might be others who haven't seen it yet...

http://www.countryside-alliance.org/news/0.../020617qaaw.pdf

It sets out the CA's views on the matter, at least.

Apologies to those who have seen it...if that turns out to be everyone..er just a general apology all round and I shall feel like I've told a very old joke...

DMCA:

Since I only just came across this, I thought there might be others who haven't seen it yet...

http://www.countryside-alliance.org/news/0.../020617qaaw.pdf

It sets out the CA's views on the matter, at least.

Apologies to those who have seen it...if that turns out to be everyone..er just a general apology all round and I shall feel like I've told a very old joke...

Yep, had seen it. Prefer your old jokes really.

Seems to be the usual CA scare-mongering tactics. I ask again, why is the CA so deteremined to fight our fight?

Elton the contents of your post (posted 13. August 2002 01:26 AM ) had to be said at sometime. I'm glad it was you and not me who said it.

Moving On!

We have all seen 'nature' programmes in which a predator eg. a snake enters a hole where a small creature eg. a mouse is domacile. Do we all beleive that the camera person dug a hole alongside a used burrow to film the rodent family and a predator just happened to enter that hole, allowing the camera person to record the fear that this brought to the occupants before one of them is eaten.

If that is not orchestrated cruely then what is?

Also:

If fish do not experience fear, then why do small fish jump out of the water to avoid a larger one?

Jim Roper

http://www.searchlineuk.com/FishList.htm

http://www.thisisdorset.net

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net