free river water in the UK

ricey

Unless it's a private fishery! In Dorset the tidal Piddle (The Royalty Fishery), tidal Dorset Stour and tidal Hants Avon (The Royalty Fishery) are all private fisheries, the clue being in the names where the king granted a private right of fishery, as is the case with The Several Fishery (not Severals!) which was severed from the land rights.

What happens if you get caught free fishing on the Royalty?

Is there some old 400 year law like you get fed to a pike or somethin. ;)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawk,

Our "common land" water mark is the physical high water mark on the bank or 3 ft from water's edge - whichever is greater.

Any water that is not 100% on your land is "public water". So, most water in America is "public". Government agencies (various), by law, can post all sorts of "no use" signs that carry the benefit of law. Otherwise, knock yourself out and fish away.

Laws have become 100X100 more limiting since our 9/11/2001 twin towers attack. In the old days the discharge areas of nuclear (SP) power plants was a "choice" spot for all kinds of fishing. NOW, you can't even say the words "nuclear power plant" without being arrested. To bad - really.

Phone

Hawk,

Our "common land" water mark is the physical high water mark on the bank or 3 ft from water's edge - whichever is greater.

Any water that is not 100% on your land is "public water". So, most water in America is "public". Government agencies (various), by law, can post all sorts of "no use" signs that carry the benefit of law. Otherwise, knock yourself out and fish away.

Laws have become 100X100 more limiting since our 9/11/2001 twin towers attack. In the old days the discharge areas of nuclear (SP) power plants was a "choice" spot for all kinds of fishing. NOW, you can't even say the words "nuclear power plant" without being arrested. To bad - really.

Phone

I actually should have read the original thread starter as it was referring to rivers as i was thinking more of lakes etc. As a falconer i have just learnt more about shall we say Land laws as i have had too as i have been in circumstances were i did not know what my rights were.

So my thoughts on certainly still waters stands true :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

What happens if you get caught free fishing on the Royalty?

Is there some old 400 year law like you get fed to a pike or somethin. ;)

The same law as any other private fishery. In the olden days - prior to the Magna Carta - they'd have simply chucked you into Corfe Castle dungeon to rot.

A lot of so called 'free' fisheries are in fact private but the owner allows fishing - certainly the case in several places near me.

In Sth. Yorkshire virtually all the Dearne is fee fishing and much of the Don and Rother too. You just have to look for the access points. Over the border in West Yorkshire there are free stretches of the Aire, Calder and tributaries. Again, the accesses are not always obvious. Few of the parts I've fished are over-fished and there is little litter in the quieter parts.

I used to pay good money to fish the Wharfe and Derwent now I pop down to the Dearne or Don and get better fishing for nothing.

Regards, Clive