Spinning Reel For Pike

Elton

Posted on behalf of Roger Rudd:

quote:

Dear Elton, I wonder if I could ask the readers to help me in the selection of a spinning reel.  I am a novice pike angler in need of a spinning reel, to be able to retrieve lures spinners and dead baits etc.  I quite fancy the shimano Sedona 4000 / 600o range or the stradic, which are both very similar, if any one has any good tips in selection of the type of reel I am looking for or have the experience in using these reels I would appreciate their recommendations/feedback or even an alternative reel if it suits my needs. 

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

If he is going to do much with lures, I don't think too highly of the 6000 in either the Sedona or Stradic. Especially the Sedona which has a 4:4:1 retrieve ratio. Fine for bait but horrible for lure work usually. Stradic at 5:5:1 is a better bet. But both reels are awfully heavy for the amount of casting you will do with lure fishing.

I like the Stradics better (but they are pricier) and would imagine a 4000 should be about right for lures and pike the size you folks grow them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Blimey, I actually disagree with Newt on something! And on lure fishing too!

I prefer a lower gear ratio on spinning reels. The reason is twofold. Firstly, there's an advantage in playing fish, although in practice I accept this is minor.

The second and more important reason is that much of my lure fishing is done in winter when water temperatures are low and often near freezing. I've found that on the vast majority of days a slow or ultra slow retrieve catches me more fish at this time of year. I find reels with low gear ratios make this easier.

Of course, if you're going to be lure fishing mainly in summer, I'd agree that a higher speed retrieve is preferable.

So our different preferences probably just come down to different water temperatures. In Newt's part of the States they're probably much higher than ours, which typically range from 0 to 20c - 32 to 68F.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I know I'm going to beat Peter Waller to this one :) ...

Mitchell 300X Pro. 6 ball bearings, fast retrieve (6.2:1 if I remember correctly), fabulously smooth and accurate (front) drag, and best of all... you can pick one up for about £50 or so.

Alternatively, look at the Okuma range. I read on another thread (perhaps on another site, can't remember) that Okuma actually make Shimano's reels for them!!! Their Epix reel is a very fine reel (so I'm told), and will set you back around the £50 mark.

Have a look here:

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/O..._Okuma_111.html

Steve - you got me. I forget how cool it stays over there.

OTOH, with a fast reel I can either burn a lure or reel s l o w l y when needed. With a slow reel, I lose the choice to do a high-speed retrieve. But for the UK, you have an excellent point.

I still don't like the idea of the weight/bulk of the 6000s for fresh water lure work though.

And to add on to Spindle's point, I have a couple of the new Mitchell 300X reels and they are excellent. But to clarify a tiny bit, the 300x and the 300 pro (both new) are not the same reel. 300 Pro has one more bearing (5 vs. 4) and is about double the cost of the 300x.

From what I can find with a bit if internet searching, it seems that the 300x is more common in the US market and the 300 Pro in the UK/Euro market.

Both are for sale Here with the usual very high RPR and a more reasonable selling price and Nimpopo is a UK dealer.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You might wanna have a look at one of the new Okumas http://www.okumafishing.com/ Light, right retrieve ratio and not a ripoff

Dont forget gearing ratio is only one factor; spool diameter/circumference is the other. What I go by is the actual rate of line retrieve (ratio x spool circumference)

Generally I find a small spool plus a gear ratio of around 5:1 or less is best for me anyway; I find the Shimano's 6:1 etc is too high for lure fishing, my sort anyway.

I agree with Steve Burke on this one (though it sticks in my throat to do it)that a slow retreive is an advantage a lot of times and it's no good just saying turn the 'king handle slower! It's not that easy. There seems to be a natural rate to turn the handle.

Good luck!

The D Geezer :cool:

Okumas are well sound no matter what the disgruntled reel division say.I have 3 and my mate has 2 and we can't praise them enough.Ok we know they are cheap but that does'nt mean they are crap.

We get ripped off for everything there is and we tend to complain when something is too cheap.

If the reel breaks (unlikely),which all reels are capable of......buy a new one.Is,nt that the luxury of cheap items?

I LOVE OKUMA REELS.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...