Makeing my own

lozza

Yes and no I am mainly going to use it for lures but that’s why I asked the question it seems that you could use one but I don’t know. Don’t really fancy whittling down pieces of wood but if that’s the way it is done than then I shall have to do that.

I'd have thought a model maker's lathe would be perfect for making a really good job of it, really efficiently. It would take someone better with their hands than I am not to make a half-arsed job of it by hand ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching a ''John Wilson'' episode yesterday and he was showing you how to make replacement ''Quiver Tips'' and also Stick Floats.

For the floats he used ''Norfolk Reeds''

Stage 1:

Check the strength of the reed, if it bends reasonably without shattering then it is a good reed to use.

Stage 2:

Cut just above the ''Knot'' in the reed (Top and bottom) this keeps it fully waterproof and also boyant.

Stage 3:

A little sandpaper on the top and bottom to smooth the edges from the cut

Stage 4:

On the base whip on the floats eye. You can either use wire to make the eye, or in his case he used braided line as he believes it looks more authentic.

Stage 5:

Paint the float in the desired colour

If you wish: You can whip all the way up the float to the flouro painted tip. This makes the float much stronger. Also you can get a thinner reed and glue it in the top creating the more sensitive/finer tip....

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I'd rather just buy some Woody stick floats

adriver-bell-8.jpg

The original (and best imo) design by Paul Woodward, the river wye match angler

I use Woody's floats myself and they are excellent but prefer the carbon stemmed Steve Maher bolo's/avons for swimming the stream.

I'd rather just buy some Woody stick floats

adriver-bell-8.jpg

The original (and best imo) design by Paul Woodward, the river wye match angler

I very much doubt he made the original "Pacemaker". Which is whats shown and I suppose to be picky the Pacemaker is really more of a balsa than a stick as its a one piece construction.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

thats half the problem these days though with a lot of anglers they would rather just go and buy stuff than take time to source make & trial their own floats, and other bits of tackle, everything is such a rush that not many can be nothered to make their own stuff and learn from it. How many folk can say they make their own tackle...not many and if it is I bet its the older anglers . :)

When guys want to learn how to make stuff and ask for assistance what help is Id rather just buy them? :rolleyes:

& your right budgie they are not the original sticks as sticks were thought of & being used a long time before Paul Woodward put his name on some floats :D

Edited by George387

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

thats half the problem these days though with a lot of anglers they would rather just go and buy stuff than take time to source make & trial their own floats, and other bits of tackle, everything is such a rush that not many can be nothered to make their own stuff and learn from it. How many folk can say they make their own tackle...not many and if it is I bet its the older anglers . :)

When guys want to learn how to make stuff and ask for assistance what help is Id rather just buy them? :rolleyes:

& your right budgie they are not the original sticks as sticks were thought of & being used a long time before Paul Woodward put his name on some floats :D

I have no idea when Paul Woodward put his name to floats and it does not matter I first used a stickfloat in the 1956/1957 season and I think I might still have it. It's home made and a copy of one I saw a man fishing with early in the season. I made several to take a range of different weights. I even made some for an uncle and some of my grandfathers friends.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I was watching a ''John Wilson'' episode yesterday and he was showing you how to make replacement ''Quiver Tips'' and also Stick Floats.

For the floats he used ''Norfolk Reeds''

Stage 1:

That sounds like instructions for a waggler, not a stick float. Defining feature of a stick float is a dense stem and buoyant top - typically balsa top with cane/lignum/wire/plastic for the stem. They're fished top and bottom, usually with float rubbers and no eye.

That sounds like instructions for a waggler, not a stick float. Defining feature of a stick float is a dense stem and buoyant top - typically balsa top with cane/lignum/wire/plastic for the stem. They're fished top and bottom, usually with float rubbers and no eye.

Yup Im with that Steve.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!