Makeing my own

lozza

That sounds like instructions for a waggler, not a stick float. Defining feature of a stick float is a dense stem and buoyant top - typically balsa top with cane/lignum/wire/plastic for the stem. They're fished top and bottom, usually with float rubbers and no eye.

I'm with you on that one Steve although being a belt and braces guy I use 3 rubbers as I have had the line cut through on 1 rubber on a couple of occasions so I use an extra one in the middle which I can slide up or down if the need arises.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on that one Steve although being a belt and braces guy I use 3 rubbers as I have had the line cut through on 1 rubber on a couple of occasions so I use an extra one in the middle which I can slide up or down if the need arises.

Im sorry but I have to say Im not with you on this one, If you look back in the archives you will see that some of the 1st stick floats were actually made from norfolk reed the way they have been discribed earlier in the post by cutting beween the knotches as the reed is watertight between them, although some of the earlier stick floats do look like wagglers they were actually used to great effect, some modern day float makers still use norfolk reed to make stick floats but add cane as a bottom stem to them.

Here is a very good example of a norfolk reed & cane stick float made by a friend andy Field.

stick%202.jpg

Edited by George387

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Im sorry but I have to say Im not with you on this one, If you look back in the archives you will see that some of the 1st stick floats were actually made from norfolk reed the way they have been discribed earlier in the post by cutting beween the knotches as the reed is watertight between them, although some of the earlier stick floats do look like wagglers they were actually used to great effect, some modern day float makers still use norfolk reed to make stick floats but add cane as a bottom stem to them.

Here is a very good example of a norfolk reed & cane stick float made by a friend andy Field.

stick%202.jpg

Oh my :wub:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

stick%202.jpg

Those are smashing, lovely floats, but they have the characteristic pairing of materials - to my mind, a straight section of reed is no more a stick float than a crow or porcupine quill is.

Sorry George

But I will accept your apology later...hehehe

First the floats you show although most excellent examples of the floatmakers art are not stick floats - they are simple top bulked wagglers without a ring, - they are not stickfloats and I am willing to bet they will not behave as a stickfloat should and must. - Put a bottom ring on and there you are a waggler which will fish as a waggler, you cant do that to a stickfloat, it wont work.

Took me a while to look it up but fortunately I remembered that the man I copied it from said it was a copy of an old float his father had. Multiple Sclerosis has only damaged my short term memory my long term memory is most excellent.

So a bit of checking later and I quote:

QUOTE:

The float most often associated with the name Benny Ashurst is the stick float, which he claimed to have invented. In reality, however the principle upon which he worked, combining a buoyant top with a wooden plug is as old as the nineteenth century, as shown in Salter's, Angling Guide (1814).

END QUOTE:

Source of quote - The Float - by Keith Harwood - published by Medlar Press Limited ELLESMERE - 2003 - ISBN 1899 600 25 6

Limited edition Number 362 - page 120

Unlike some I don't come out with fairy stories or live in a fantasy world, if I know I say, if I don't know I ask or keep quiet.

EDIT:

I believe that you also have a copy of this most excellent work and I vaguely remember you well I hope it was you referring to it - although as I have two copies I will probably be selling one shortly

END EDIT:

Edited by watatoad

Oh my :wub:

The problem with trying to be clever, especially when using emoticon's on an other persons mistake or incorrect comment just makes one look a small minded narrow outlook person and shows a complete lack of overall comprehension of what is actually being discussed as well as a limited knowledge of the subject. Which in some cases may be being discussed by experts in the field.

A classic example of me trying to help out but my limited knowledge of the particular aspect of angling meant that I could not give fuller or better advice and it can be found.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Specime...t-t2635530.html

where I openly say that I have only used small sized reels but found the drags to be excellent I believe you posted next and you did know all about large sized reels as did several others so rather than come out with a load of crap, fairy stories and or pretense I have just simply read and learned from the experts as far as I am concerned in the field of large sized reels, I have not made childish comments or poked fun at anyone I did not know the answer so I read and learn from other peoples knowledge. On many occasions I have actually said that others probably have more knowledge of a particular angling subject than I do and have openly asked others to help out.

I just gave the best advice I could in this case my advice was very limited as I never have need to use large sized reels so could not offer advice as I did not know. Should you care to check on every post I have ever made you will notice I only give advice if I am confident in my knowledge in whatever particular field. I may well ask questions of things I do not know or am not sure of but I never come out with fairy stories or bullsh**t. Instead I will always try to help and will only ever give the best advice I am able to based on my personal experience and knowledge.

Yes I am a bit touchy at times especially politically as I would like to see everyone get off their rears and look at all sides of opinion and consider each others opinions and I do push things and at times I might not even agree with what I am saying but anyone reading should and must be given both sides of the subject.

I thought my joke about vote for WATATOAD was obvious perhaps not - So please allow me to explain 'in my opinion voting for most politicians and or political parties willy nilly is about as sane as voting for a man who calls himself a Toad and says he's green.' - obviously my attempt to get people to look at who and what they are voting for has obviously failed...hehehe perhaps they will vote for me pity I have no intention of standing nor do I seek high office or political power - I am a sick disabled not very good looking man in his 60's hardly the sort of dynamic photogenic person this country needs to lead it - I have always said I am fanatical and at times crazy - let you all into a secret everybody is at different times - guess that actually just makes me normal.

EDIT:

REPLY TO GEORGE's post ON PREVIOUS PAGE - sorry you are wrong George proof supplied

END EDIT:

Edited by watatoad

Incidentally George the floats you show look more like a variation on the Zephyr paper float of the prewar twentieth century (about 1922) or the Palmer float of the post second world war twentieth century, but that is just on looks.

Please see previous page for details of a true stickfloat.

I'd have thought a model maker's lathe would be perfect for making a really good job of it, really efficiently. It would take someone better with their hands than I am not to make a half-arsed job of it by hand ;)

In my opinion it would be and I believe there are some on here who use a model makers lathe just for that purpose, although someone on here impressed me enormously as he said he makes floats by hand, that's amazing, sorry I cant remember his name. Plus you can make cork bodied floats from corks I believe champagne or similar corks were suggested so considering the time of year perhaps you can scrounge some from local restaurants, bars and pubs. cant hurt to build up a free supply and they wont take up a lot of space. Back in the 1950's when I was a less than well healed lad I used to make the bottom ring up from the copper wire obtained from a thrown away dynamo I think I used round pronged but damaged carving fork for the size as by moving the wire up or down I could vary the size to match whatever float I was making...hehehe...I still have the pliers and side cutters that I used back then in my tool box and they are almost as good today as they were when I got them made by a company called Steadfast with black plastic covered handles. My original lathe was a home made treadle lathe which an uncle made for me out of a broken treadle sewing machine and a broken lathe but it did the job fine. Just given my old lathe away (not the treadle one that's long gone) to a friend as I plan to buy a new/secondhand one in the new year.

Edited by watatoad

The true "Stickfloat" is just a slim, sensitive top and bottom trotting float with a very small sight/top the design of which seems to have come from Lancashire's match anglers (maybe Benny Ashurst) to fish caster in swims with a nice gentle smooth flow. A lot of what has the name "Stickfloat" written on it these days wouldn't fit with what the likes of Benny Ashurst were using them for and are really just trotting floats not stickfloats IMO.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The satisfaction of making your own floats and fine tuning them for your waters and style of fishing is something you just can't buy.

Don't really matter for me about following old designs, but i think it can be helpful to try them and understand them and what there best uses are and why.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep