Countyside Alliance and FACT

trent.barbeler

i see the bitching continues ,perhaps in the future we can bitch over our memories of angling

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Boote and graham X .. what am i missing?

:confused: You both seem to be saying very similar things. Make up now or no TV for you tonight :D . Seriously while I have a lot of respect for the British Association for Shooting and Conservation, I feel that the sports are too dissimilar to have one group to represent both sports. Make alliances with them yes completely join forces with them perhaps not.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

And the bitching will stop now or another thread will bite the dust....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Graham. X:

So what about those who support angling, but who don't support shooting?? And vice versa?

I can't see any shooting person voting to ban angling!

Any anglers out there wishing shooting for sport to be banned?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim Roper:

Any anglers out there wishing shooting for sport to be banned?

That's a tough question.

Once saw a TV program involving Spanish commercial fishermen (trawlermen I think) who take rifles out to sea to take pot-shots at dolphins in idle moments. When asked why, they replied that it was good "sport". Those trawlermen could easily shoot cheap plastic footballs for their fun.

And there are parts of Europe where small-bore shooting of songbirds is considered "sport".

I'd have to place a hand on my heart and say yes - I would vote for such "sport" to be banned. It's needless killing that could easily be replaced by target practice or clay-pigeon shooting, imo.

If you want to shoot pheasants or the like for the pot, that would be a totally different matter in my eyes.

And why do I trouble fish the way I do, with no intention of eating them? Hard to say. It's a very grey area.

Cheers

[ 20. February 2005, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: GlennB ]

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

The BBC has thought fit to put this reaction to the hunting ban on one of it's web pages:

"I will never support this legislation until we see a complete ban on ritualistic animal killings in the UK. If fox hunting is to be banned on the grounds of cruelty, then grouse shooting, pheasant shooting, angling, deer hunting, and even the humble mouse trap should all be banned. You can't create legislation against something, but overlook similar practices!

Andy, Leeds, UK"

[ 20. February 2005, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim,I must admit to some doubts about the morality of breeding and releasing Pheasants for sportsmen(?) to shoot with modern weapons.

But then I have doubts about the morality of catch and release.

If anything, I can see more morality in foxhunting as there is at least some risk and physical skill involved on the part of the hunters, and where they are followed on foot then the fox probably has the advantage.

I have a gut feeling that if the hunters had agreed to limit the number of dogs to maybe two or three then they may have won their argument, but as far as I know, no one suggested that.

As you know, I went to London and marched(?) in support of the "right to hunt" and would do so again to support shooting and angling, but only if we removed the unsporting aspects.

Live baiting out...breed and release pheasant shooting out....multiple rods out....match fishing for money out.....I am not even sure about long poles!!

probably a few more that others can add???

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den, I think that you are right on every count of your last posting. Even though I hold the CA in low regard, like you, I would march subject to similar conditions.

No, I'm not courting arguement, but whilst I agree with your comments about breeding pheasants, and I've bred under my chickens in the past, should we not apply the same arguements to breeding fish, trout especially, for anglers? I say trout especially as they, like pheasants, they are bred to be killed.

northern mark:

GlennB

What are your views on shooting as vermin control?

i think shooting/poisoning them is a bit harsh and a bit outdated nowadays. There has to be more effective, and less crude ways to control them - what happens if they are only wounded or slightly poisoned , its not nice to think of them staggering round the countryside half dead.

Surely in this day and age, we can use breeding or sterilisation techniques to effectively manage the population and prevent the resulting distress on the countryside.

oh hang on, you meant those vermin - sorry i thought you meant the fox-hunters, not the foxes.

GB

[ 20. February 2005, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: guernseybass ]

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "