Waggler fishing help needed!

BoozleBear

When I waggler fish I quite often have the same problem, whether in the canal or at one of the ponds on Hampstead Heath.

I set the rig up, after plumbing the depths, cast out and the float sits perfectly. Then, over the next few minutes the float goes slowly under and I can see it sitting static a couple of inches below the water.

I often think I have put a shot or two too many on, so reduce the shotting but the same thing happens.

This is really annoying as I know I am at the right depth but the float keeps going under.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong!

Thanks,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I thought about snags, but it happened 3 sessions on the trot. Probably was though as I'd done it fine before, and was confident I was doing it right.

Thanks

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Check that your floats are'nt taking on any water as this affects their bouyancy if they are ok then it may well be that your hook has snagged on some weed or debris on the bottom. Underwater tow can also affect the way a float performs.

It might help to sink the line which will stop the hook finding the object causing the drag. After casting sink the rod tip and give the reel one or two quick turns until the line has disappeared. Alternatively, and this is something I do when using a centrepin, lock the drum and move the rod back rapidly a few inches with the tip underwater.

It might also help to use a back-shot to get that line to sink quicker on windy days.

Cheers

Dave

If you struggle to sink your line carry a small amount of cheap washing up liquid and a piece of sponge, Make a long cast and squeeze the soaked sponge onto the line with your thumb and index finger and wind in, when the float reaches the rod end undo the bail arm and work back from the float for the length of the rod ( this is the most important bit ) you should find the line sinks easily, you may need to repeat this several times during a session but the effort will reap rewards.

tight lines :):)

One of the things that may be happening is that you are not plumbing the depths at the deepest point. If this happens your float will balance until your bait drops to a point that the combined weight of shot and bait pulls your float under. It will continue downward until your bait hits bottom, and then sit quite happily under the water!

[ 17. March 2005, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Boozle

To me it sounds like the line and maybe a shot is catching the bottom (no snag required) and the tow is gradually pulling the float under.

Three sugestions; As mentioned above sink the line, not only will this slow down the problem but will also makle it easier to hit bites. Secondly try shallowing up either the float or bottom shot. The float may now trot through with the tow. Sometimes the fish will want the bait moving sometimes (esp when cold) they wont.

A Third sugestion is to take a little shot of the rig so that the float balances against the tow.

Often when you have tow on a stillwater there is nothing you can do to overcome it (without using heavy floats shot on the bottom and more float showing(this may work)) and you just have to accept that the float will not sit properly for very long. In these situations regular casting has to be accepted.

I now use this method for plumbing with a waggler :

Place ALL of the shot required using the shot you will use while fishing right next to the float.

Once you are happy you have the correct weight of shot to cock the float and have your required amount of tip showing guestimate the depth of peg and set up the rig with locking shot (two thirds of weight) around float.

Put you plummet on.

Wrap a loop of mainline at the top of your waggler around the tip so it is held in place the same as a stick float or pole float.

Now cast and plumb depth but plumb all over the peg to find features such as ledges and bars etc.

When you are confident using this method you will find you can shot the float exactly as you will fish with it IE with all of the shot/weight set up.

I find this method to be much more precise than the method of having the waggler swinging around (not attached at top)

Once depth is known and rig set up you just pull the loop of line off top of waggler and are ready to go.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!