Time to kick sea fishing out of the Angling Trust

Elton

I hope that clears this up. Please support us; I know we have had a slow start on sea angling, but we are making good progress now.

All best wishes,

Mark[/b]

Anyone know if the trust had a word with the rsa before they sent this letter off to defra and co. Did they take aboard any rsa points of view or is it as i suspect just the trusts own wishes and wants with regards to the tope situation.

quote:

Jackie Tennyson

Discards and Marine protection Team

Defra

Area 2D, Nobel House

17 Smith Square

London

SW1P 3JR

Dear Jackie

Tope (Prohibition of Fishing Order 2008) Review

Thank you for this opportunity to contribute to the review of Statutory Instrument 2008/691. Please accept the comments below from the Angling Trust. The Angling Trust is the new governing body for angling in England and replaces the National Federation of Sea Anglers that contributed to the consultation that established the Statutory Instrument.

Review

We consider that that SI2008/691 has been successful in its primary intention of preventing the development of a directed UK tope fishery.

There has been excellent compliance with the catch-and-release provisions for recreational sea angling, but then it was the case that the recreational fishery was conducted on an almost exclusively catch-and-release basis anyway. The only substantive complaint has been the inability to retain very occasional fish to claim national or regional records for the species and the perceived unfairness of this compared to the allowed commercial by-catch.

We fear the provision for commercial by-catch has been less successful. The MMO has disclosed to us that 20.1 tonnes of tope were taken in 2009; we assume there would be some level of unrecorded landing and that the true figure may be significantly higher. It is not known how much of this 20.1+ tonnes was landed in batches of 45kg or less; however we feel the limit is not known in some quarters, ignored in others and pretty much universally unenforced. We would invite you to access http://blog.through-the-gaps.co.uk/2010_01_01archive.html , scroll down to the photograph captioned Unusually, plenty of tope... and assess whether the 45kg limit is being applied at Newlyn.

Proposals

We would suggest that the need to maintain precautionary measures to protect tope is as pressing now as in 2008, possibly more so given the increasing commercial fishing effort directed at non-quota species as reduced quotas are quickly spent. The fragile reproductive biology of the tope remains the same. The catch-and-release recreational tope fishery continues to support many jobs in the charter fishing industry and jobs associated with supplying and maintaining small private boats, fishing tackle, etc.

We are comfortable with the catch-and-release provision for recreational anglers remaining in place. However, in order to demonstrate a fair and even-handed approach, we would suggest the allowed commercial by-catch is eliminated.

We accept this will lead to some additional discarding; however in conservation terms a dead tope is dead whether landed or discarded. If it is the case that some tope capable of live return are being killed to land, the by-catch provision can only have a negative impact. The by-catch provision serves to muddy the water. A simple No Landing rule would be easier to understand by fishermen and fish merchants, and much easier to enforce. It would remove the temptation to kill fish capable of live return. It would have absolutely negligible effect on the livelihood of commercial fishermen: the 20.1 tonnes of tope landings recorded by the MMO grossed £13611, approximately half the average annual wage of one person.

Should the by-catch provision be retained, it is essential that the terms are more widely publicised and enforced.

Finally we would request that Defra consults urgently at EU level with the aim of extending protective measures for tope across relevant EU waters. We believed this was the intention after 2008 but in practice little seems to have been achieved. Tagging studies have shown that tope are highly migratory; fish that are being protected in UK waters are frequently taken by Spanish and French long-liners from Biscay and the Azores.

Yours sincerely,

David Mitchell

Marine Environmental Campaigns Manager

Angling Trust

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is Keith Arthur?

Serious question because i don't have a clue who he is..

Chris

puddle basher and telly pundit with a big gob, his experiance re sea fishing is limited. Don't knock him too hard though as we might just turn him now he ain't chums with the A T any more. Use him in the crusade to demisish the power of the unelected governing body who have a major hand in developing restrictions against the rsa without any consultation of the same. :D

Because he's been to brighton a few times and weymouth with his telly crew he thinks he knows all.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

David Mitchell will be the guest speaker at NMC AGM is there any thing you would like me to ask him ?

That's a bit like telling us that Bill Oddie will be guest speaker at the RSPB AGM - and whether we would like you to ask him something about shooting grouse..

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

puddle basher and telly pundit with a big gob, his experiance re sea fishing is limited. Don't knock him too hard though as we might just turn him now he ain't chums with the A T any more. Use him in the crusade to demisish the power of the unelected governing body who have a major hand in developing restrictions against the rsa without any consultation of the same. :D

Come on Barry I know the trust is bad, ok very bad, but is your hatred that much that you would befriend the devil him self to see them gone.

Locking hands with those who have publicly gone on record as supporting a tax levy and/or a percentage from licence sales given to an org bent on governing the happily ungoverned does not bode well with me. :nonono:

Edited by Deene'0
Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

That's a bit like telling us that Bill Oddie will be guest speaker at the RSPB AGM - and whether we would like you to ask him something about shooting grouse..

Having met the guy I would suggest that, if given undisputable facts in a well presented fashion without histrionics he may well listen. When I met him at least, he was not of the 'usual' AT idiot ilk but rather somebody that was willing to listen and learn!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Having met the guy I would suggest that, if given undisputable facts in a well presented fashion without histrionics he may well listen. When I met him at least, he was not of the 'usual' AT idiot ilk but rather somebody that was willing to listen and learn!

Fair enough, Worms, but I'm more than a bit concerned over the source of the funding that pays his wages and the constraints it puts on his ability to truly represent sea anglers. It is my understanding that he is allowed to campaign for fish, but not anglers.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Come on Barry I know the trust is bad, ok very bad, but is your hatred that much that you would befriend the devil him self to see them gone.

Locking hands with those who have publicly gone on record as supporting a tax levy and/or a percentage from licence sales given to an org bent on governing the happily ungoverned does not bode well with me. :nonono:

No no no, he's just a tool in the bigger picture as i have said, why you no listen. Divide and conquer. B)