Beware of the bull

Nutshell

Hi all, my dad has got a small holding and it just happens to have a stretch of the River Anker running through it (I have it all to myself!) but anyway dad has got this bull ... Charlie! We have had him since the year dot, unfortunatley Charlie boy likes a fuss, but due to his massive bulk he nudges you and sends you and the tackle flying! On one occasion he put me in the river! He is a bloody pain to be honest, he means well but he is to dam strong, tackle and bait gets murdered. You give him a slap, he bogs off for 10 minutes to sulk then comes back for more!! I tend to lock him in the barn when i intend to fish, but dad lets him out to wind me up.... swine

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vagabond:

I wonder if Chevin remembers that :D:D

Yes, I remember it vividly. I also remember that the car was a Vauxhall Viva - a small light car and the bull was a big heavy bull! I don't think you forget what seems to be hours of terror like that.

I had an unnerving experience with a cow in Ireland too. I was night fishing the Shannon at a place called Roosky and a friend was fishing a swim a few yards up stream from me. The night was still and very quiet. I never heard any sound but all of a sudden there was a cough about 2" from the back of my neck and a blast of warm air over it! I very nearly ran across the river in my fright! A cow had been responsible, but how on earth it moved that quietely I will never know.

Had a bit of a shock with a bull at Newbury on the Kennet once. Chris Tarrant, Rod Lane and I were making our way along the bank of the river to a stretch Chris had got us permits to fish. We got to one field and on the far side of it, we saw a large bull. A very large bull! We had to cross that field so we stopped and considered the situation. As we were watching and talking, we noticed that there was a chain hanging from the bull's nose, so we figured that as it was tethered it would be safe to cross the field. We set off and saw no reason to avoid the bull by much because it couldn't move. As we got close to it, it looked up, saw us and started moving towards us. By this time we could see the end of the chain and it wasn't anchored to anything. The bull could go just where it liked. Thankfully it was quite a friendly bull and didn't trouble us, but it was a frightening few moments!

[ 03. March 2005, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: chevin ]

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Bulls I don't mess with.

Cows I normally don't have a problem but they can be rather unnerving when they start to crowd you. They aren't that dangerous but you aren't used to them, it's an awful lot of beef to contend with.

I usually find that waving a rod and a raised tone keeps them at bay.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

"For some reason I don't mind the black white dairy variety (Fresians?) but the brownish/reddish ones can look really mean "

As far as bulls are concerned, it is the reddish brown ones (Herefords) that are fairly docile.

I'm sure that some bullocks can be extremely dangerous - and there are more of them. There used to be some by the Tidal Trent that would launch themselves at you from a great distance if they saw you, and they didn't look as if they were being merely curious. You can buy some time by taking some paper bags with you and bursting them if they come too close.

I would far rather face bullocks than horses though. I have come across a few in my time that have terrified me - charging at me and kicking their back legs up in the direction of my face. Don't ever be tempted to feed them.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Stay well clear of all Bulls to be on the safe side but particularly of any of the dairy breeds I'm told. Having said that, a couple of years ago a friend and I encountered two very large bulls in the SAME field along with many cows. Very unnerving but they were calm with not only us but, more suprisingly, each other.

Paul

chevin:

I also remember that the car was a Vauxhall Viva - a small light car and the bull was a big heavy bull! I don't think you forget what seems to be hours of terror like that.

LOL You are right about it being a Viva. I don't remember past cars very well, but vividly recall most of the motorcycles that have passed through my hands.

You jogged my memory re the cyclist tho'

About five minutes after the bull incident, you reminded us that we had overtaken a cyclist just before we saw the bull and said "I wouldn't be that cyclist for all the tea in China" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...