Freshwater River Fishing From A Boat

Elton

I received a couple of emails from Chris. These aren't his exact words, but a summary of the question. Please add all replies to this thread:

What re the rules, if any, for fishing from a boat in a river, such as the Gt. Ouse? Do I just need rod licences, or are there other restrictions?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any restrictions on the fishing side of it over and above normal angling good practice. Mooring to buoys, pontoons etc can sometimes be a problem, best to speak to owners or do it discreetly. And of course you need to get a license for/register your boat (although I think its alright if its unpowered).

What kind of boat?

For my yak- I was required to have a rod license, and a day ticket/year book for the river I fish. I also made sure to become a member of the BCU though this might not be necessary depending on the type of boat you have. Being a BCU member gives you third party insurance and allows access to navigable water. If it isn't navigable, then I believe you need to have landowner consent. The EA website has loads of information as does British Waterways

Great Ouse

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Obviously, you always need an EA rod licence, as well as legal access points to launch and bring the boat in, but how do the rights for fishing from a boat work while you're actually on the river?

As I understand it, riparian owners control access to and fishing from their banks, but unlike a stillwater, they don't actually own the the river or the fish in it. Presumably, if you moor up to the bank, you're considered to be fishing off the bank itself and therefore subject to whatever legal considerations that may involve. But if you were lolling about somewhere in the middle, would you still need a day ticket/club book? Actually, now that I think of it, do riparian owners perhaps actually control the river beds up to the mid-point of the river? I'm thinking of the wading agreements when two clubs control opposite banks - we had a situation like this with my old club and the syndicate who had the other bank and I can't quite remember how it was supposed to work...

I received a couple of emails from Chris. These aren't his exact words, but a summary of the question. Please add all replies to this thread:

I used to fish the Great Ouse at St. Neots from a hired row boat and all I ever had was a rod licence . It can be a very good way of catching those chub that lay under overhanging willows. It can be almost impossible to get a bait to them from the bank and yet reasonably easy from a boat. But, as ever, stealth is most important.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.