River Jaunt...anyone know the Rother?

dizidave

Ok, after a seriously dissappointing match on saturday....

Been looking forard to it all week, Drayton, thats right, stories of ow the monsters there pull your rod of the rest and all that.....got such a bad draw and didnt get a bite :(...gutted.

.....anyway, i seriously need to catch something, my only chance today is to nip down to the local river which is literally a 5 minute walk...(River Rother) after work. Ive been down there twice before(only twice because i never get the time) and havent done particularly much. To be honest i dont think the river is great but u never know.

Thing is, im by no means a big river fisherman, what bait should i use?, ive got sweetcorn and meat left over from saturday and i might be able to scrounge up a few worms if i turn over some of the crap in the back garden.....will that be ok.

I sppose there salways the old faithful bread :)

Has nayone been on the Rother and actually caught anything?

Ta.

P.S. Got a PB on friday....went to Wombwell dam which has always been good for me and sat there for 8 hours in non-stop torential rain (and i mean non-stop)...wasnt exactly rushed of my feet but i did get into 3 carp that were all 10lb+...nice....the dam must have risen at least 3 inch while we were there!!!

Sorry, never fished it, but i remember reading that it had improved significantly.

A big piece of bread on a size 6 or 4 is my preferred big chub rig, and it's prodiced the goods nearly everytimer I've used it, either that or the worm, fished paternoster style with a pair of swann shot as weight, bounce it along the edge of the current, under trees, and into drop offs, keep moving and keep your profile low, I'm sure that you'll get something (got by PB brown trout on bread doing this, so don't be surprised what you catch on it, i've even had pike follow it in(though I didn't catch them))

Fish the worm on a size 12 worm hook/microbarb.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Dave, it depends which part of the Rother you are going to fish.

The upper reaches, above Bodiam, are narrow with a reasonable flow. Good head of Chub and Roach.

Middle reaches from Bodium through Newenden are a little wider and catches will also include Bream and maybe the odd Tench.

Lower reaches towards Iden are wide and little flow, like a Fenland Drain and have good Bream.

The whole river seems to have a good head of Pike many going over 20lbs.

Let me know which bit and I may be able to give more help.

An Economist: Someone who sees something working in practice and trys to see if it will work in theory!!!!!!

Whoops. I've just noticed you live in Yorkshire and that the Rother is local to you.

My explanation above is for the Kentish Rother.

What a plonker Rodney!!!

An Economist: Someone who sees something working in practice and trys to see if it will work in theory!!!!!!

DenisO:

Whoops. I've just noticed you live in Yorkshire and that the Rother is local to you.

My explanation above is for the Kentish Rother.

What a plonker Rodney!!!

When did they move the Rother into Kent, I always thought Etchingham, Bodiam, Iden and Rye were in East Sussex, at least they were when I lived there.