Centrepins - what makes a good one

watatoad

What do you think makes a good centrepin reel?

Are the very expensive reels really worth the money?

How can you improve a cheap reel?

What would be a good beginners trotting kit (rod and reel) without breaking the bank?

I am certain that there are a few quiet readers who would appreciate your experience and knowledge to help guide their own efforts.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

My first 'pin was a Shadowlanda 6" (now being sold as a Des Taylor 'signature' 'pin for 3 times the price!)

For the £10 i paid for it a very good reel that got me into fishing with a centerpin, despite having a wobble it was very free running (adjustable by the knob on the front) even in the slowest of flows line could be taken.

The only problem i had with it was the reel is slightly too wide when using a rod with a screw seat and needed filing back to get it to fit properly.

I would recomend this reel to anyone thinking about trying out a centerpin but not wanting to spend alot of money to then not like it, you can still pick them up for £12 on ebay with one or two popping up as 'des taylor' 'pins at £30.

Matt

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

I was fishing on new years eve when I came across a fisherman with his first ever centrepin. He noticed I was also using a pin and got chatting. I ofered to show him my style of cast and he asked me for my opinion on his reel so I tried it. Very free running and smooth. My first cast put me within 3 ft of the opposite bank so easy to cast with. I couldnt offer an opinion on how long it would last and thought the handle shape and position may cause the line to go round them on the cast, but this was definately a good first reel. It was an Ikonex, (i think thats right) and he paid about £40.

It casted further than my nice new Kingpin but I do think the kingpin is better quality and going to improve with time. However, if looked after, or for trying a pin out, I dont think you could go far wrong.