fishing around northampton

numes

hi

can any body suggest some decent lakes around the northampton area that i can fish on a day ticket?

ive been to castle ashby a few times but thats about the only one i know of in the area ,though i have seen a large lake near brackmills anyone got any ideas what its called and whether its worth fishing?

any suggestions much appreciated

thanks

quote:

Originally posted by numes edited by DG :

Hi, can anybody suggest some decent lakes around the Northampton area that I can fish on a day-ticket?

I've been to Castle Ashby a few times but that's about the only one I know of in the area, though I have seen a large lake near Brackmills.

Anyone got any ideas what it's called and whether it's worth fishing? Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks

Hardwater Lake, Earls Barton?

BTW, I think the lake near Brackmills might be Billing (vomit - my personal opinion)

DG

P.S. Brackmills is the bolls for boy-racers though .

.get yourself a turbo or two bolted-on

_____________ Posted Image

at Turbo-technics of Brackmills

[ 21. March 2004, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

The large lake near brackmills is probably "Barrage Lake". Difficult water to fish.

It depends what you are after ....

Sywell is famous for it's big Tench, but can be very hard

Canons Ashby was a beautiful 2 lake venue until Castle AA / Northants Fisheries wrecked the bottom lake. The top lake is stoll lovely in summer and carp to 24lb can be caught

Hardwater Lake as DG suggested, but you need a season ticket from Earls Barton Angling Club

There is a lake on Sharman Road in Far Cotton which is lovely, but lots of litter and occasional yobbo's spoil it

Weedon Road gravel pit (behind Sixfields Stadium has Tench to 7lb and is great on a good day .... which is not that often !

Abington Park lake is good in summer (very early, before people start arriving to feed the ducks !)

There are plenty of others ... look up Castle AA and Nene AC websites for other ideas.

Also MKAA (milton Keynes) have plenty of waters only a 30 min car journey away

good luck !

quote:

Originally posted by JonHedges:

The large lake near Brackmills is probably "Barrage Lake". Difficult water to fish.

It depends what you are after ....

Yup, JH is probably right ....

____________ Posted Image

Billing is further away

DG

[ 22. March 2004, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Hi numes! :)

quote:

originally posted by Numes

though i have seen a large lake near brackmills anyone got any ideas what its called and whether its worth fishing?

The lake you mention is called "The Crescent Lake" and is run by the Castle Angling club.

Although I have not fished it myself I understand that it fishes very well and contains a good head of crucian carp, tench, roach and perch with as they say "a few suprises" just exactly what they mean by that I don't know.

If you consider fishing it I would advise you leave supplies of oxygen part the way down :D 'cus it's one hell of a climb back up, it is well sheltered down there and is boardwalked all the way round so making it very sheltered

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing

Crescent lake is a small lake in Brackmills itself, so I very much doubt it is the one Numes refers to. It is not visible from any road and you wouldn't know it was there unless you had a Castle AA license. Visible on the opposite side of the road (in DG's map it is referred to as "water sports centre) is Ransome Road lake. This has decent Tench, Bream and Carp (some really large ones, although rarely caught). Plenty of smaller fish (Roach, Perch etc) too. Can get REALLY weedy though

many thanks for the replies,jons right about the "water sports centre "being the water i had seen from the a45 at brackmills.

whilst were on the subject ,in this months IYCF there is a reference to meadow lake ,northampton, any ideas where this is ?as i can find no trace of it online.

thanks. paul

Hiya all :)

Just had a look in my publication called "Fishing 2003" for this Meadow lakes place and believe it is the new lakes run by the Northampton Nene A.C. and they're at Rothersthorpe. Sorry can't be more specific than that, as to quote the book:

"A new club water is Meadow lakes near Rothersthorpe, Recently stocked with roach, rudd, and crucians in addition to the resident roach, rudd, perch, carp, tench and the odd bream and pike, this water offers family fishing which is always interesting and is in quiet, pleasant surroundings with on-site parking

If you are a recent resident to Northampton I would suggest you get a copy of this booklet, it's £2.50 I know, but it's full of information about a large area of Northamptonshire and the midlands and, I for one think it's well worth buying.

Of course I expect "fishing 2004" will soon be out so keep your eye open in all the usual places that sell angling pulications.

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing