How Many Years?

Elton

Elton:

Elton:

Eight years but I'm only 15 now!

No need to be sad...just think how many great years of angling you've got ahead of you :)
I remember fishing with a fairly well known angling writer, who was a bit cross about a letter to AT in which the young letter-writer (now also fairly well known) had criticised one of his articles.

Authors tend to get a bit steamed up over things like that.

"I'd caught a thousand trout before he was in his nappies" he said.

"Maybe" said one of his mates, "but that means he might catch a thousand trout after you are in your box"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a late starter unless you count the odd foray with bent pin and string( I suppose there must have always been something there although no-one I knew actually went fishing), but nevertheless a quarter of a century of actual fishing with proper tackle.

Little children should be told they are too young for fishing. Each time daddy leaves the house and jr pines to go with him he should be told that he must wait until he is older. Daddy is of course desperate for jr to take up the angle and this game will hurt him more than the youngster but wait.

When the appropriate age has been reached he should be provided with a garden cane, a paper clip, a #12 hook and a length of mono of 5lb b/s.

The tip ring is whipped on(and from then on refered to as a tip ring) and the line tyed to it. It is then given to jr and refered to as a rod. Tie the hook on and go and try to catch small roach and tench in the farmers local pool. Attend to their every need. Take care to leave well before either of you are bored.

You will have created an angler for life.

I take it you don't want to answer the question then, OP-JB??

Me, since I was about 8yrs of age - so that's on and off for about 38 years, n I'm still crap! :D (actually quite a bit off in between!) :rolleyes:

Thats how I fished when I was 7 :D Except my granddad gave me a propper bamboo/cane whip type rod(line tyed to end), homemade float from cork. I am now 13 and fish "proper" :D:D:D

Originally posted by mpbdsnu:

[QB]I take it you don't want to answer the question then, OP-JB??

I was incredibly lucky in growing up on a farm with lakes, fishermen and a river ran through it. I can't remember not fishing. Best years of me life.....

So thats you and Mike Tyson on your arses.

Incidently, lets not get all high and mighty about angling longevity. Some of the finest anglers I know are recent aquisitions. I showed a fish to a young man on the river the other day that only a handful of fishermen in the country could cast to and catch (trout). He caught it first cast and he has only been fishing for eight years.

Nice quote Vagobond.

[ 09 June 2002, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: OP-JB ]

started in 1960

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

M.K.

Home made float!!!!

Magic.

How about taking jr for a walk before his first trip and making sure you pass under a rookery. Let him find some feathers, take them home and create..

We are getting somewhere now.

Elton:

It'd be great if everyone who visited the site answered this, but i doubt it somehow. Anyway, people often refer to the wealth of experience on Anglers' Net and I wonder how deep it goes. Just  how  many years of experiece do we have between us. So,......

How many years have you been an angler?

43 years

27 of them as a specilist angler.

First small roach at six, on a bent pin and cotton line with a garden cain as a pole. A ball of bread was the bait.

phil h.