Muddy waters

sam23

Evening all . I have been visiting my local stretch of river since the snow melt . It went all murky after the melt and then started to clear for a few days , and now since the rain it has turned to muddy soup again but worse . Been itching to get on the bank after I have learned of a few spots on the river . Over christmas had a right sort out of all my gear and planned a few trips , but just can not bring myself to spend money on bait only to fish pea soup .

Roll on the water clearing !!

We've had a lot of heavy rain here overnight and this morning, and I was fearing the worst. I expected to see a high, brown and angry Thames when I came over it this morning, but amazingly it's a good winter level, good flow and fairly clear! Two mild days this weekend and a pass for both days, things are looking good.

Sam, I know that feeling well :( Hope it settles and drops soon. When it does, you might be in for a bonanza as all the fish turn on as the river drops and clears. I've found that it is usually very hard in your current conditions, however a few of my biggest chub have come when it's like that, all of them the only bite of the day. If you can find an area of deep water right out of the flow and debris, there's likely to be fish there, and as benacre says, something like cheesepaste would be my first choice, with half a dozen freebies scattered around the slack.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cheers for the replies guys .

The river in question is between 2 and 3 metres wide and varies from 2 to 6 foot deep when levels are normal , it does have a few nice bends in it but due to the location on the edge of the levels it is a muddy bottomed river and generaly very over grown with weed etc . With the extra water it becomes a very fast paced river with no chance of float fishing and with all the weed it would be a very snaggy affair .

I know my view of it is very negative but just being realistic . As soon as it starts to ebb I will be down there :D

Kind regards Sam

Evening all . Been down to the river again today , and it is still pea soup but the water levels have dropped significantly . I am going to give it a few days to see if it clears and then give it a bash with some cheese paste and maggots as suggested . fingers crossed . :D

kind regards Sam