Barbel In East Anglia

Elton

Can anyone help this angler?

quote:

I have recently moved to East Anglia {Ely},and would like to know if any fellow anglers could direct me to a good Barbel day ticket or club water.

If so I would also be grateful for any advice as baits, swims, directions and anything else that might be useful.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ya chap from Ely

I would try looking in the direction of the river Wensum for a start as for the other info you asked for I'm afraid I can't be of much use I'm not from that area.

Cheers.

Gt. Ouse at Bedford, Offord are the nearest. Gt. Ouse at St. Ives has produced big ones in the past. Rumour also has it the the 100' or New Bedford river has a few. Also the Nene at Wansford used to produce a few and even the River Cam or Rhee at Barrington had a stocking a few years back.

Hope this helps

Colin

Hello mate, I live in Norwich and I fish the Wesum for Barbel. I fish day ticket stretches (Not many left!) There are some very good stretches on a day ticket though, I have had Barbel to 12lb.Try the bridge at Lenwade, a very good stretch for Barbel and big Chub, legred meat over hemp works best. Another is Taverham mills, they have a very good stretch, same tactics. Contact me via e mail for more info or see my site at http://www.norfolkangling.co.uk

I run a small barbel fishing syndicate on the upper Suffolk Stour five miles south of Haverhill. A couple of spaces available at present to careing anglers. Barbel here not huge at present, av. size between 7 and 9lbs but they are growing. 400 two year old fish introduced a few weeks back. If you are interested e mail me.

Alan.

• 8 years later...
I run a small barbel fishing syndicate on the upper Suffolk Stour five miles south of Haverhill. A couple of spaces available at present to careing anglers. Barbel here not huge at present, av. size between 7 and 9lbs but they are growing. 400 two year old fish introduced a few weeks back. If you are interested e mail me.

Alan.

Hello Alan, I have just found this old post regarding your Stour syndicate, I have recently moved to Suffolk from Dorset and I am very keen to fish for Barbel on my local river, do you still run the syndicate and if so are there any spaces? I have over 20yrs Barbel fishing experience so fish care is my main care, please mail me back if you have spaces or a waiting list,

Reguards Giles

Hello Alan, I have just found this old post regarding your Stour syndicate, I have recently moved to Suffolk from Dorset and I am very keen to fish for Barbel on my local river, do you still run the syndicate and if so are there any spaces? I have over 20yrs Barbel fishing experience so fish care is my main care, please mail me back if you have spaces or a waiting list,

Reguards Giles

Hi Giles

Alan does not visit here much these days but as a friend of his I can tell you that the syndicate ended a year or so after the posting was made.

The suffolk stour holds a few barbel but they are hard to catch. The weipool mentioned did hold a few and is now a club water for a south essex club with restricted membership to locals of their base only. cannot remember their name.

There are several weirpools lower down that also hold barbel in small quantities and local clubs also stocked some with a buy one get one free offer from E.A..

However its not a serious barbel river.

regards

john

Hi Giles

also just realised you are not the poster from Ely who started this thread but live in Suffolk.

I looked at your profile but you have not added any details.

If I can help you in any way with local knowledge just ask.

regards

john