Dave Horton the man tells all

JackPike

He really wasn't worth arguing with, Mr Nice. To be honest I thought him a thoroughly unpleasent man, and not just to me, also to quite a few others who also went down in flames. Some folk have very high opinions of themselves, Dave comes over as one of them. Personally I reckon that he has an unpleasent attitude, but hey, I really don't give a toss. But, as is often the case, in real life it seems that he is not as he is portrayed on the net. Perhaps if I were to meet him I would share your high opinion of him, but so far I can only take him as I find him.

[ 11. October 2005, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Waller:

He really wasn't worth arguing with, Mr Nice. To be honest I thought him a thoroughly unpleasent man, and not just to me, also to quite a few others who also went down in flames. Some folk have very high opinions of themselves, Dave comes over as one of them. Personally I reckon that he has an unpleasent attitude, but hey, I really don't give a toss. But, as is often the case, in real life it seems that he is not as he is portrayed on the net.

Is posting this on here, when you know full well he uses another forum the action of a ‘pleasant man’?

Peter you’ve been itching to get that off your chest haven’t you? As I remember it, the tone of your contribution into what was already a lively debate caused it to spiral rapidly downwards, you reap what you sow. You seem to have formed strong opinions of many well known pike anglers Peter, but where Dave is concerned I think you’re very wrong.

i've never met dave, but to me (based purely on his posts) he personifies everything that's wrong with the p&p forum, arrogant, bullish, pig headed, i could go on! in the flesh he may well be a different man.

Just for the record, Mister Nice, yes I do know where Dave posts. And, to be perfectly blunt, how on earth am I to know whether he posts / lurks on AN or not, you get my point? Maybe he is Mister Nice!

As for other well known pikers, yes, I do have some strong opinions, and for the vast majority, I have the highest regard and respect.

The one good thing about P & P was the contact I had with one or two 'names'. People such as the late Martin Gay, Jason Davies and Malcom Bannister p.m.ing was much appreciated.

Where P&P is concerned I have pulled out because of the vitriolic style of personal attack used by some. I post for enjoyment. Good, robust and strong debate I enjoy, and I will discuss my corner in depth. But that is often not the style of P & P, regretfully. Constuctive attack I can cope with, but personal assassination, naa, not worth the effort.

I have also backed off a thread when my attacker has tried to steer a thread into an out and out attack on other people.

And as far as my comments here, they only went into any depth in response to your posting.

Yes, I have attacked one particular character on P&P, but I was not alone in my thoughts. Strangely enough it seems that it was okay for others to make their comments, but not for me! Such is life!

One good thing about AN is that we can disagree, but in general, we remain civil to each other.

[ 11. October 2005, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Dave Lumb:

Peter, I've PM'd Dave Horton a link to this thread...

Could be interesting! Perhaps, one day, we shall meet, and realise that we like each other! All a question of style, but he rubbed me up big time, and not many people can do that!!

Perhaps I could be the first to welcome Dave to AN and that he will prove me entirely wrong in my perception of him, that would be nice.

[ 11. October 2005, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Peter, i've noticed you like a debate so i obliged, after all you were 'fishing' with your first couple of posts. Anyway we'll have to agree to disagree as i'm sure their are many things we have in common, a love of Pike for one.

BTW Dave is mr nice, but not this one!

Hi Dave. I really wasn't fishing with my first few posts, although I can accept that you saw it that way. I really can't be bothered to trawl through P&P but my memory of it was that Dave threw the first punch. He may have felt I deserved it, many do, but discussion is one thing, arguement is another. I'm quite happy to accept that Dave is an okay bloke, from those who have met him, but that is not my perception of him, sorry an all that.

Peter,

I doubt you'd find a more helpful or obliging fellow in the piking world than Dave H. He has unlimited time for those with a considerably lower profile than his own, and spends an awful lot of time nowadays fishing with all and sundry. He's a top bloke and thoroughly good company.

He also doesn't, in my experience, harbor grudges, and I'm willing to bet that no matter how heated the debate may have been between the two of you, he would approach your next interaction completely without bias.

In short, he's a rare beast in todays world in being a regular gent. :)

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'