At Last

Chris Plumb

Good slug of rain today in the south - more precipitation in the last 24 hours than the whole of December. Already pepping up the Kennet - looking at the gauges on the EA site!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I know, it's great! I put this on the muddy waters topic earlier:

We've had a lot of heavy rain here overnight and this morning, and I was fearing the worst. I expected to see a high, brown and angry Thames when I came over it this morning, but amazingly it's a good winter level, good flow and fairly clear! Two mild days this weekend and a pass for both days, things are looking good.

This weekend might be very good indeed :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hmm, I think we have have got a little more than we bargained for! Heavy rain all night, and some very threatening clouds outside at the moment. The EA river stations are telling me all the rivers here are still rising, and in some places are in danger of flooding. I won't know until I get down there, but I fear I will be greeted by an angry Thames this morning... I'm just having a cup of tea, waiting to see if it's about to chuck it down again or not!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well I had only one window this weekend in which to go and I've missed it! <_< A week of sleepless nights courtesy of a nasty bout of manflu (and watching the Ashes :rolleyes: ) combined with last nights works Christmas Party meant I slept through 2 alarms this morning and didn't surface until 0945 - unheard of for me. Footy this afternoon and the boys are competing in an indoor tomorrow (athletics) so I'm now staring rather wistfully out the window mentally running a flaot through my favourite chub swim!!! :D

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Well you might not be missing much! I'm back home 4 hours early. The river is an angry, brown monster, still rising, and after a couple of hours I gave it up as a bad job. Bah.

The canal at kintbury has burst its bank in places so i think the river downstream will be very swollen and coloured! the pike arent having it at all the count so far is a foul hooked minnow on a spinner to me and a cray to my mate!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Speen Moors a long way downsteam of Kintbury looked up a couple of inches with a fair bit of colour but not too high at all. I actually thought it looked really good but maybe I haven't seen too many good looking rivers. Anyway despite pre-baiting 3 swims with my rather gloopy bread mash only a brownie was tempted by my hook bait. I got all excited when the tip started to move but as the bite developed it clearly wasn't a chub.

Still, I have now caught on breadflake :)

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

The rain always makes me smile, especially in winter!!!

When all the people are grumbling it cheers me up knowing that the next time i head down the pond the levels will be up, the water oxygenated and the fish feeding on grubs that have been washed in!

On the way back from work today i had a look down the pond and it had been drained three feet for irrigation, a few days of rain and the levels are now back up completely so the rain must be doing some good work!!

Cant wait to fish it :D

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."