EELS-how do i handle them!?

Russell Fitzpatrick

hi lads

had my first( 1st ever!) eel by design last night,1.5lb-2lb lovely little predator,fascinated me!...and well confused me too!i tried the stroking the chin-belly,worked for a few seconds then he wanted a fight again!i was very confused as to how to handle these fish,i have the upmost respect for anyfish i catch,as i intend to target them somemore i thought best to seek advice on handling them,i am fine unhooking,its trying to hold one up for the camera i find hard!i had a second swallow the hook,so i cut the trace as close to hook as possible,i have read this is the best way,rather than poke around. and cause them damage.I was zandering,missed runs,wich i knew was eels, switched to a single hook n a roach head-improvisation!

i know theres some very knowledgeable eel anglers on here,help would be much appreciated. :)

[ 11. September 2005, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Ratty Fitzpatrick46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Nice fish Warren.

Ratty, You don't seem to be doing anything wrong, Some eels are just harder to calm down then others. As warren says you might only have a few seconds to photograph an eel but sometimes they will stay really calm and you will not have a problem giving you loads of time.

Stick at it.

Why don't you consider joining the National Anguilla club?.

Like minded anglers. if you want to know more email me @

aj001a5249@blueyonder.co.uk

Respect.

Tony.

Tony B.T Jolley

I was told that turning fish of any kind, including eels, onto their backs was dangerous to their health and possibly even lethal.

To calm an eel, I simply place a cloth over it's head and stroke its back.

This work perfectly well so I see no reason for endangering the eel's health by doing something that may or may not harm it.

Can any fish biologists out there explain why it's OK to turn an eel upside-down, when we spend so much time educating other anglers that other species remain must upright?

What makes a eel any different to other fish?

Surely all fish must be kept upright...no?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...