EELS-how do i handle them!?

Russell Fitzpatrick

Thanks Warren for explaining that. Even still, the method I use works just as well so I think I'll err on the side of caution.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

By the way Warren....that's a bloody nice eel!!!

Well done mate.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

cheers lads

i do try to get it right,its nice to know i am doing them no harm.

i shall try the stroking way.

nice eel warren,looks a right snake!

heres my beastie

Posted Image

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Andy Macfarlane:

I was told that turning fish of any kind, including eels, onto their backs was dangerous to their health and possibly even lethal.

Surely all fish must be kept upright...no?

What about pike, Andy? Turning on the back is standard practice for unhooking AFAIK,

Jim.

So I've seen in the PAC pictures on unhooking pike. I lie my Pike on their side or even better still, I unhook them in the water.

Upside down just seems wrong to me. I'm sure you've seen fish upside down in the water, struggling to right themselves. I think whetever's happening to the fish in this situation could be worsened by the angler, when he turns the fish upside down .

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Sorry, eels are the one fish I have to admit to handling with a (wet) cloth or towel. Strictly speaking I know these can damage the outside of fish, but I take the view eels are a bit more hardy than say a carp, roach, tench etc.

I quite like catching a good eel (had a 4lb earlier this year to a worm at a carp lake), just not that keen on unhooking them!

Ian W