Centrepin prices

Aaron1976

Hi,

would somebody be able to tell me what a clean Richard Carter reel would be worth? I know its very model specific but I'm currently considering (cheaper!) alternatives than saving up and having to wait months for a Chris Lythe, I think a used Richard Carter is probably the next best option I have. I'm not a collector of reels - whatever I buy gets used on the bank and I'm looking to treat myself to something nice for a change. Am I being somewhat optimistic to think I could find a Richard Carter for within £300? IF I could ever find one that is...

I've seen some clean Allcocks Match Aerials go for roughly £250...(probably more), but I'm not sure if they're worth it or not over say a copy like the Fred Crouch Jet. I know Garry Mills makes reels but he's probably just as expensive as Chris Lythe (big assumption there!).

I'd welcome any thoughts on the above.

Thanks

Aaron

Aaron two questions,what have you used so far and secondly why do you want to spend that much?

Hi Budgie,

as far as centrepins go, my experience is as follows: I've got some Adcock Stanton's (as mentioned), a Dave Swallow reel (my second actually) - it was the first centrepin type I ever tried...never quite got on with it though (felt cheap), partly because my first had plastic parts and a god awful rear drag as opposed to the later which had brass components. The one I have now has brass parts, with a much better ratchet - I should really give it a second chance. I've found the Adcock is a solid work-horse reel - bit of a tank in that it does pretty much what you want, and its a nice design generally (although the black carbon foot cheapens it in my opinion).

In the past I've had my hands on a Speedia and the Allcock Match. I do like the look and feel of aerials - the Allcock felt right if that makes sense - but mine had a wobbly foot (through age and use probably) and I sold it on. The Speedia was a good reel (wide version), but mine seemed to be a bit corroded and I sold that before I really got to use it. However both were good examples of true 'pins that I've seen up close, and I wanted to experience that again....just a shame I had to flog them at the time.

Why so much? Good question, I'd prefer not to spend a small fortune if I can help it. Part of me would love to own a quality aerial like the Richard Carter's of this world, I don't think I'll catch more fish(!), but for the sheer pleasure of owning one makes me want to investigate them more. I think the Lythe is probably more of a fantasy reel (pretty sure many just sit in cases as investments)...can I justify it? Probably not.

I would like to move away from the Adcock's and try something new to see what else is out there, the main reason for the budget is to treat myself a bit...but as to how much really depends on the reel. For the classical centrepin design - its seems a budget of about £200-£300 is the going rate for a nice one (maybe I'm looking at the wrong websites). I have been told to investigate Okuma's but my eyes don't seem to like them very much...

Aaron

Ive had nearly every pin going other than the really cheap ones or the really expensive! Lythe/Carter) I didn't really rate the Swallows and think the Youngs reels along with the Greys are very overpriced.Cant speak about the new Stantons but my original Adcock Stanton was a favourite for a long time. Only used one of the Crouch copies and didn't think it as good as my original Match Aerial.

Now though I only own and use two pins. A well tuned and fiddled with 5" Leeds and a Anglers Net pin.Although I loved my Aerial (had to sell off all but the Leeds to raise money for mortgage arrears) I don't think I would ever bother to replace it (I sold it for a very high price as it was immaculate and had original box/papers etc) even though you can pick up reasonable ones for less than half of what I got for it.Simply because I am more than happy with the two I have! The others were simply not that great!

I really don't think (price wise) if you make sure you get a good one and can tune it the Leeds can be beaten. As for the AN pin well you don't have to do anything with them they are spot on right from the start! I would seriously consider the AN pin and remember that Andy will "modify" them to your own specs regards handles or "finger holes" or colour.

Performance wise Ive not used one that actually performs any better regardless of price. At a lot less than your talking about spending I would definitely check one out before deciding.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

....the main reason for the budget is to treat myself a bit...

Budgie's reply makes perfect sense but then I read this this sentence in your original post, perfect sense isn't the only driver I guess so I'll answer on the basis of you not wanting something purely functional. As regards the Carter I doubt you'll find one within your budget if you find one at all. I'm not familiar will all of his range but the Aerial Gem was a highly regarded reel and the only I've seen one for sale a couple of years ago fetched about £450. Garry Mills reels are also above the £400 mark so they're out.

Original Match Aerials seem to fluctuate in price quite a bit, one minute you can pick up a really good example for £100 or so but then another one in similar condition will fetch double that. Still well within your budget but the loose reel foot problem is quite common and at the end of the day you'd be buying secondhand. Fred Crouch's replica is a realistic option I think, the reel isn't as well made as the original but it's not that far behind and works perfectly well. Since I wrote this I believe the design has been changed so it might be worth making some enquiries. It's very affordable at about £135 and if you have any problems Fred will fix it.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...-centrepin.html

An article on the AN 'pin. A very good ballraced reel and if the appearance appeals you can't go far wrong. They did sell for £140 but best to check that.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/tackle-and-bai..._centrepin.html

I'm quite a fan of the Youngs range, I have the Bob James model and I've found it to be a brilliant reel. The RRP is high but e-bay makes them available for around the £200 mark, they're also sold in some tackle shops so you can go and have a look, if you like what you see try a bit of haggling.

Good luck, it's a nice problem to have.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back