Brownies On The South Tyne

Steven Osborne

I am currently fishing the South Tyne around Haydon Bridge (nr Hexham Newcastle) for Brownies. All I seem to be picking up is very small trout around 4-5 inches maximum (little fingerlings)....and lots of them. I am fishing in the main North Country Spiders (Partridge and Orange etc) with a team of three flies and at times I'm getting 2 at a time. Which is more like Makeral fishing and the little buggers are everywhere :wallbash:

This is really my first season on the South Tyne and I need some advice as what to do - surely this is not the standard for the Brownies in this river?

I am not driven just for big fish but a few nearer the 1/2 lb mark would be nice.....What am I doing wrong or any tips as to where the bigger ones are holding up

Been told to move away from small flies as the bigger ones just don't bother rising for them? Trouble is tried nymphs/bugs but on these boulder strewn freestone rivers I'm constantly getting snagged up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Fly choice seems fine, what you've encountered is the reel fact that many of the trout in the tyne do go to sea, within the next couple of weeks we'll start seeing the runs of sea trout, so late nights and early mornings with sea trout flies could have you into some good fish.

There are some salmon in the water, so don't forget about having a go for them.

There are good brown trout in the river, my PB wild fish was over 3 pounds, but this was ferox and had two small trout in its stomach. I have had 4 takeable trout on the south tyne this season on fly, but they are well spread out as well as angler and tackle shy. I wouldn't expect to have more than one or two takeable brown trout on a full days fishing, even if the conditions were perfect, on the south tyne. Saying that I once had 5 in a day.

Tactics...look for holes and undercuts, the river is very low at the moment so a deep pool below faster water would be a good start, the bottoms of weirs being ideal.

wait for some water in the river.....but who knows when that will come.

fish late at night, though get some serious midge repellant.

go for a walk, not to fish, wander up the tributeries etc, I had a lovely fish from under a willow on one of the tributeries on saturday morning, it was about 6oz, but on a 4 weight rod, having wriggled to a casting position on my knees, it was a good fish. but enjoy yourself and take the time to find the likely spots for when there's a bit more water.

don't worry about it, no-ones finding it easy, you're not on your own. I'm going after perch on Saturday morning unless there's some water by then, i also find catching nothing but fingerlings demoralising.

best of luck

tight lines

phil

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Thanks Phil - Glad its not me. Was beginning to think that I was getting it all wrong with the Brownies.

Went Sea Trout fishing last week at Widehaugh (nr Corbridge) and had a large Chub of all things at around 9:30pm. Didn't weigh it but I estimate it at around the 2lb mark.

Came as a bit of shock.

I saw my first south tyne chub at haltwhistle last year, i've had a few at Hexham in previous years there are also some good double figure pike around all the way up to haltwhistle......have fun.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

I saw my first south tyne chub at haltwhistle last year, i've had a few at Hexham in previous years there are also some good double figure pike around all the way up to haltwhistle......have fun.

I've seen a few pike decorating the bushes along the Tyne too. Old attitudes die hard unfortunately...

I've seen a few pike decorating the bushes along the Tyne too. Old attitudes die hard unfortunately...

I better not mention where I got a 2lb perch on the fly this morning then....I love it when a plan comes together....he swam off however.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that you've been putting some time in steve, they're here in numbers, it's the best run i've seen fora couple of years.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

day tickets are £25 from MAGS newsagents in haltwhislte town centre, a week ticket's £60, sea trout average about 5lb salmon in the teens, top weights are much bigger.

tight lines

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

you could always try a change of fly if you still arent getting any reaasonably sized trout...in high water it is always good to try something with a bit of silver or gold rib on its body eg bloody butcher,silver invicta,black spider etc...i was fishing my local river last night and we are just after a lot of rain and the water was high and coloured so i started fishing the wet fly,i was using a type of hairsear but it had mo colour on it and it just blended in the the colour of the water so i had mo luck with that after an hour so i changed to a silver invicta(size 10 hook)and within 3 casts i hooked and landed a nice trout weighing over 3 quarters of a pound..so if the water is high and coloured a change of fly might be the soulution although what you are using should do..

tight lines

sean

"two men were standing on the bank of the river and one says to the other"how can i catch a fish?? and the other replied "you keep your bait in the water!!!"