Hugh's Fish Fight

Elton

This man to many in commercial fishing must the the equiverlent to god he must be the best thing since sliced bread to try and raise more quota he has all good intentions but doesnt understand what its all about you can continuie fishing on grounds that have loads on of cod there knowing you have no quota to land it now who is to blame there or do steam away from it years ago the old timers when they first started trawling would say if they got a bag of small codling they would steam away from not continue to fish it to throw it back dead .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some thing for you and others to ponder on.

If all the trawlers in the North Sea had landed all the fish they had caught in the last 10 years would it have made a difference to the very good cod fishing that Big Cod has had recently and regularly reminds us of on AN. If so, how?

Here is one for you Wurzel

'If all the trawlers in the North Sea had not caught say 50% the fish they discarded over the last ten years, would that perhaps change the good fishing into something spectacular?'

Note, Big Cod is back peddling on the claim that all is well at present on his patch in Whitby

Edited by Deene'0
Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Here is one for you Wurzel

'If all the trawlers in the North Sea had not caught say 50% the fish they discarded over the last ten years, would that perhaps change the good fishing into something spectacular?'

Note, Big Cod is back peddling on the claim that all is well at present on his patch in Whitby

Hello Bob

With the size of the fleet as it has been for the last 10 years I doubt there would have been a noticeable difference.

We are in the business of catching fish, to go to sea and ovoid catching fish goes against the grain especially when you are finding it hard to make ends meet.

Perhaps you have to decide whether you want spectacular angling sport and no commercial fishermen or good fishing along side a commercial fleet, with your anglers perception there is not room for both and don't forget you accused commercials of being greedy.

The amount of fish on Big Cods patch depends on whether he is peddling for custom or slagging off commercial fishermen.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Bob

With the size of the fleet as it has been for the last 10 years I doubt there would have been a noticeable difference.

We are in the business of catching fish, to go to sea and ovoid catching fish goes against the grain especially when you are finding it hard to make ends meet.

Perhaps you have to decide whether you want spectacular angling sport and no commercial fishermen or good fishing along side a commercial fleet, with your anglers perception there is not room for both and don't forget you accused commercials of being greedy.

The amount of fish on Big Cods patch depends on whether he is peddling for custom or slagging off commercial fishermen.

Hi Wurzel

Fair comment mate but the figures being banded about would suggest had they not been caught then I believe it would have made a difference, though I’m mindful that there will only ever be as many of a particular species as there is food to support them.

The reports from Whitby do however point to fewer 3 and 4 year class fish for the RSA year on year.

Tight Lines Bob

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Hi Wurzel

Fair comment mate but the figures being banded about would suggest had they not been caught then I believe it would have made a difference, though I'm mindful that there will only ever be as many of a particular species as there is food to support them.

The reports from Whitby do however point to fewer 3 and 4 year class fish for the RSA year on year.

Tight Lines Bob

Care to back your statement up Bob?

Unfortunatly sadly to say but there is a lot of truth here discards off this coast in 80s and 90ss were obscene remember 80ml codends were slaughter machines boats are now working 120ml a spot in right direction stocks are on the way up that is down to less effort and probably the last 2or 3 cold winters and cod hatch has been good plus those big french trawlers working of the head end have cleaned most of whiting up around this part of the world what is a cod larve worst enemy a whiting so there could be a few factors why things are moveing in the right direction but lets not kid ourselves we are many years away form the stocks of the 70ss , 80ss and the early 90ss i do well at putting my customers on the fish but beleive me a lot of boats really struggle at times it takes a lot of years to be good at any job the people i really feel for are the under 10ss now they have been persecuted what i cant understand is why they dont give boats more quota if they fish with what is known as sustainable fishing methods long lineing you are talking about litterally zero discards now that makes sense but the powers that be in commercial fishing aint under 10mtr fishermen.

paul.

The under 10m fleet was a creation of fisheries "management".

Quota the same.

Licences the same .

Now, 20 years later, the experts in boxing,classifying and marketing get in on the act and persuade you to give up all your rights for a wee mirror with a bell?

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Just watched the last episode.

like Glenn, Hugh is not able to distinguish between undersized discard and discarding marketable fish,. The EU under pressure from NGO's like Green Peace set out to eliminate discard of undersized fish, they were under the elusion that this was the reason they considered fish stocks (cod) was not recovering at the rate they should be.(more like plenty of work for the management) The response from one EU rep was " you will never totally eliminate discards" he was referring to undersized or unwanted no value fish, he was right it can and is being addressed to minimize to the lowest possible levels but will never be eliminated. Until the two issues are separated he will get nowhere with the EU commission. just add confusion .

Another thing Hugh doesn't seem to readily admit is the fact that where ever he goes North of Scotland to Hastings cod are abundant and the main species being dumped solely because the science is wrong and is the main cause of the discarding of marketable fish.

Hopefully the public will now realise they have been misled (brainwashed) on the state of fish stocks (cod).

Interesting one for you here wurzel:

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/dr-callu...real-fish-fight

Interesting to read around the forums and talking to people other than anglers.I would say that 90% are signing up for this petition under the impression of getting rid of the commercial fleet totally or at least inshore and offshore Trawling and only wanting 'sustainable' methods (What ever they are).With Greenpeace,the MCS and the AT among others endorsing it,that wouldn't surprise me either.

IMO there is certainly more to this than appears on the first impression......Be careful what you wish for. :blink: