Hugh's Fish Fight

Elton

Hello Glenn

I dismissed Callum Bloody Roberts as a rambling idiot years ago along with his chum Charles Bloody Clover.

You fished out of whitby peter remember the bread+butter ground on the 10 mile you must have netted it dureing your stay here at this wonder port that peice of ground used to so prolific i say used to be till the pair teams started towing it 50-60kit hauls of green 500-600st ago for 4 hours not bad is it and at times that was week in week out that ground still hasnt recovered whether the bottom has had that much damage done to it i arent quite sure but you struggle to get a decent days fishing there nowadays its the places where the crab potts are that are holding the fish and why is that simple no trawlers can get on those grounds heavy bottom trawling has done enormous damage to reefs all around the uk we a very lucky here to have a large potting fleet and where they are concentration there potts it is actually acting as conservation area all small fish on those grounds actually grow into an adult fish those fish then spread out actually giving what few trawlers there is left a decent living so all in all everybody benefits .

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quotas clearly don't work.

I suspect days at sea won't work either (you only have to watch one episode of Deadly Catch to imagine the sort of behaviour and loss of life that would bring).

I personally favour an engine size limit, 25hp should get them home if they don't go too far out. Then they would have to go back to methods that fished sustainably for hundreds of years. They might even be able to put fish they don't want back in the sea alive if they weren't crushing them to death in trawls.

Get rid of the multi-million pound super trawlers and get back to the days when fishermen sold their catch to feed their families, instead of feeding their bankers.

PS. I think HFW has been royally conned. If the North Sea is so "full of cod" why were they fishing 12 hours out from Scrabster. Weren't they fishing 80 miles west of Shetland or something ridiculous? When they can fill nets an hour out of Grimsby they can say stocks are getting better!

I suspect days at sea won't work either (you only have to watch one episode of Deadly Catch to imagine the sort of behaviour and loss of life that would bring).

I personally favour an engine size limit, 25hp should get them home if they don't go too far out. Then they would have to go back to methods that fished sustainably for hundreds of years. They might even be able to put fish they don't want back in the sea alive if they weren't crushing them to death in trawls.

Get rid of the multi-million pound super trawlers and get back to the days when fishermen sold their catch to feed their families, instead of feeding their bankers.

PS. I think HFW has been royally conned. If the North Sea is so "full of cod" why were they fishing 12 hours out from Scrabster. Weren't they fishing 80 miles west of Shetland or something ridiculous? When they can fill nets an hour out of Grimsby they can say stocks are getting better!

Would this not result in increased effort in small inshore areas?

Maybe the Seagull should tow our inshore waters also?

Hello ColinW

I don't know about an hour out from Grimsby the ground there is a bit soft for cod, a bit further 3 to 4 hours no problem, half a hour from Whitby a little further up the coast would see a boat like the Sea Gull having no trouble filling up with cod if they had the quota. Big Cod might get a bit upset though.

Did you not see the part of the program where small boats fishing close inshore from Hastings and Ramsgate were catching and having to discard quantities of large cod?

Fishermen still sell their catch to feed their families, and I suspect the bank has always wanted their share first even if the owner was buying a sailing smack for £500 200 years ago.

Why do you presume the old methods were any more sustainable than they are know?

If fishermen were forced to fish as you claim, the old sustainable way, who would be able to afford a fish supper? As you would have to pay something like £200 a portion at the local chippie.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello ColinW

I don't know about an hour out from Grimsby the ground there is a bit soft for cod, a bit further 3 to 4 hours no problem, half a hour from Whitby a little further up the coast would see a boat like the Sea Gull having no trouble filling up with cod if they had the quota. Big Cod might get a bit upset though.

Did you not see the part of the program where small boats fishing close inshore from Hastings and Ramsgate were catching and having to discard quantities of large cod?

Fishermen still sell their catch to feed their families, and I suspect the bank has always wanted their share first even if the owner was buying a sailing smack for £500 200 years ago.

Why do you presume the old methods were any more sustainable than they are know?

If fishermen were forced to fish as you claim, the old sustainable way, who would be able to afford a fish supper? As you would have to pay something like £200 a portion at the local chippie.

So what do you say peter about leaseing quota and then continue fishing till you have filled all the boxes with sprag but dumped twice as much back over the side all good size edible cod high grading did hugh mention that on his fish fight or wasnt it mentioned now thats mad the whole quota thing is crazy and needs sorting you need to start again.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

So what do you say peter about leaseing quota and then continue fishing till you have filled all the boxes with sprag but dumped twice as much back over the side all good size edible cod high grading did hugh mention that on his fish fight or wasnt it mentioned now thats mad the whole quota thing is crazy and needs sorting you need to start again.

paul.

Sacking 99% of the management industry would be a good place to start again.

High grading is just selective discarding, it's better than chucking it all away.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Interesting one for you here wurzel:

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/dr-callu...real-fish-fight

The article is comparing Landings into British ports from the Empire days, when our fleets went everywhere , including Iceland Greenland, the Barents Sea, and strange places like "Bill Baileys Bank" ( of course steaming past all the fantastic fishing in the UK because they were stupid greedy fishermen) , with modern landings and then coming to some media friendly but illogical conclusions.

Add a few zealot Chefs and the problem is solved.

Alternative view might be to tell the truth. Its not profitable but it might give our kids a better start..

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net