The lazy way

Leon Roskilly

Anderoo

You and me both I might investigate Chuby's suggestion of Brick Farm.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anderoo

You and me both I might investigate Chuby's suggestion of Brick Farm.

Just a word of warning,Brick Farm will be busy at weekends,it can be hectic midweek.That's down to the stocking levels and reasonable charges.

Think you mentioned Five Bellies,does he still use the forum?

Edited by chuby

I'm pretty sure the minimum tippet strength at Farmoor I is 8lb! Not ideal when you want to fish little buzzers.

I have googled - 7lb!

And of course, there is also a 1 inch limit on lure sizes, so it isn't as if you are fishing big lures.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to fish a static fly whilst you have a rest, the "Booby" range is quite good - Dick Walker had some good fish on "legered" boobies so you will be in good company. The booby sits above the bottom like a pop-up boilie, so getting snagged is less likely.

With increasing age I too find I must conserve energy.

One way is to avoid too much false casting - you see a lot of people who must spend over half their day false casting anything from six to twenty-six thrashes a time, all to get an extra foot or so.

I have evolved my own style which consists of (1)retrieve - (2)roll cast into the air - (3) one backcast - and (4)shoot. Modest for distance, but the fly is back in the water quickly.

....add to that, after "(4)shoot" - (5) put rod down, (6)eat a venison-and-mustard sandwich, (7) drink a cup of coffee, (8) pick rod up and (9) play the rainbow which has mysteriously become attached to your line :)

You are out to enjoy your day, not develop tendonitis.

Yes,done it myself,laid rod down to have a bite and coffee,then nearly lost the rod ,so make sure your rod is securely fastened down or whatever

Think you mentioned Five Bellies,does he still use the forum?

Chuby

Chris (Five Bellies), still pops in for a look and makes the odd post, I am waiting for him to confirm our charter trips for 2011, fancy coming along to one?

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Chuby

Chris (Five Bellies), still pops in for a look and makes the odd post, I am waiting for him to confirm our charter trips for 2011, fancy coming along to one?

Tony

Hi Tony,

have spoken on here to him a few times re a trout fishery down near Godstone which alas in now no more :angry:

Thanks for the invite,well yes,depending when obviously, as i do work some weekends in the better weather and would need to re adjust working week accordingly.No gear these days however,got shot of it yonks ago.

If you guys do a fly fishing trip i would be more than happy to meet up somewhere,again dates permitting.

Thanks

Chris(chuby)

Out of interest did you do Brick Farm? as i see you were intending to from your earlier post

Edited by chuby

Chuby

We have not done Brick Farm yet, I was thinking about going this weekend but given the weather I will probably go Piking.

My first fly fishing trip will be down to Tavistock on the 12th Feb.

Tony

Tony

Chuby

We have not done Brick Farm yet, I was thinking about going this weekend but given the weather I will probably go Piking.

My first fly fishing trip will be down to Tavistock on the 12th Feb.

Tony

Ok Tony.\if you decide to try Brick Farm out ,let me know or anywhere else for that matter,work permitting i would be happy

to meet.

OK Proven! :)

Both that fishing a lure static beneath an indicator works, and that a fish will take when you are trying to eat your sandwiches.

Having landed a couple of rainbows after a couple of hours of casting, I felt that it was time to sit down in a nice sheltered but sunny, almost-warm spot, and enjoy my sandwiches (I'd been fishing with a cold cutting blustery easterly wind, and my back was starting to complain at so much standing up).

Out went the indicator rig with a black-feathered, green-bodied, beaded cats-whisker at the point, and a smaller salmon-pink feathery glittery thing above.

A couple of munches on my sandwich as I enjoyed the scenery, then I became alert as the indicator didn't seem to be behaving quite right out there in the wind ripples. It gently went below a little and came up again.

Was it just the wind drift on the line?

Down it went again, so I put down the half-eaten sandwich, picked up the rod and lifted into something (the salmon-coloured feather, glittery thing was the tempter).

With a third fish in the bag, I finished the sandwich without re-casting and then it was time to head home. :)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

OK Proven! :)

Both that fishing a lure static beneath an indicator works, and that a fish will take when you are trying to eat your sandwiches.

Having landed a couple of rainbows after a couple of hours of casting, I felt that it was time to sit down in a nice sheltered but sunny, almost-warm spot, and enjoy my sandwiches (I'd been fishing with a cold cutting blustery easterly wind, and my back was starting to complain at so much standing up).

Out went the indicator rig with a black-feathered, green-bodied, beaded cats-whisker at the point, and a smaller salmon-pink feathery glittery thing above.

A couple of munches on my sandwich as I enjoyed the scenery, then I became alert as the indicator didn't seem to be behaving quite right out there in the wind ripples. It gently went below a little and came up again.

Was it just the wind drift on the line?

Down it went again, so I put down the half-eaten sandwich, picked up the rod and lifted into something (the salmon-coloured feather, glittery thing was the tempter).

With a third fish in the bag, I finished the sandwich without re-casting and then it was time to head home. :)

Two lures under an indicator :o

tha'ts not cricket old boy :lol::o :o :o :o