Famous anglers only catch those fish because...

Anderoo

Something you hear quite a lot:

'[Famous angler] only catches those fish because he has access to all those top waters'

Discuss :)

PS for the benefit of Elton, discuss without being libellous :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Famous anglers undoubtedly catch some fish due to their status gaining them access........................but what the knockers forget is they had to catch a lot of good fish from waters like anyone else before they got to be famous to become famous!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Famous anglers have to have a high skill level in the first place and as Budgie says it then helps to open doors.

I also think that when they have gained that status they generally have more time to put what they have learn't into practice.

Time on the bank is worth more than anything assuming you have a thinking mind and basic ability.

Regards

John

Something you hear quite a lot:

'[Famous angler] only catches those fish because he has access to all those top waters'

Discuss :)

PS for the benefit of Elton, discuss without being libellous :)

you put the time and effort in to become famous..then chances are you have the experience to both produce consistently better catches and know the people to get the venues!

on top of that most peoples perception of a "famous" angler is likely to be a TV or magazine personality as well...so the huge fish, amount of fish and overall fishing process is distilled into a 30 minute "pack of goodness" or a days fishing taken down to the photo of the one huge fish they caught after 3 days sitting about waiting for something to happen!

fame has little to do with it! being in the right place certainly does, as well as having the time (or being paid for the time) to put the hours in at the bankside!

Fame will open doors and fishling locations...but then again so will a few well placed phone calls and a bit of networking..those "hidden" lakes we all dream of finding are out there and can be fished..its just getting your foot in the door to do so!

Talent, effort, time, money and maybe a little bit of luck.

All thatplus...having family in the buisness who push you and put you in the right place is the main thing.......not so much what you know as who you know.

Just an example, Martin Bowler has a famous uncle.

It's not just in fishing but in all other walks of life...acting, politics etc etc.

As Tigger says, it applies in all walks of life.

I have heard countless times "Its not what you know, its who you know"

It never occurs to many that "What you know" has considerable influence on "who you know".

OTOH watching a so-called "celebrity" being put in front of good fish and making a complete hash of catching them does make one cringe sometimes. (Know wot I mean? B) )

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

i think "celebs" dont have any knowledge or skill the further up the celeb ladder they get.

I'm sure their catch rates are nothing like real life ,you see them catch but they may have been catching bugger all for reels of film ,all you will see though is fish or if really bad pretty pictures.once they get on the telly they have anglers who fish for them and when they get a nice one they phone up the celeb who jets down there and pretends to land it.once he has the shot in the can he kicks the peon who does the work and flies back to his grade1 listed pad in london to sup champers whilst resting his feet on a semi nude Philippino servant

take that geezer who lives in that cottage by a river ,bull he flies down for an hour for the outside shots where a bluescreen shot cant be used and then flies back to the studio ,all the other stuff is done by a couple who rent the place out ,even the blokes name isnt err wittingstalk its fred cracker from scunthorpe ,nothing is real life is an illusion all smoke and mirrors

even jack Hargreaves had a stuntman and that beard was clearly fake ,he was a coal merchant from hull but had mates in tv :rolleyes:

look you can see the join

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEm11YCRd2I...feature=related

just reading stuff from a board behind the camera ,its said he never went outside he was agoraphobic and hated animals and getting near grass made him cough

this is real footage without a stand in ,unfortunately the guest wore tweed which contains grass

ofcourse that couldn't be used so the body double was used for the rest of the series 'sss

in Nudds case he is the hat which is carried about by an extra from shot to shot ,nudd has a string on which he pulls to move the extras mouth to the uttered nudd words ,i thought it common knowledge :ph34r:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Got to remember there is a big difference between a celebrity who goes angling and an expert angler who becomes a celebrity..................all though admitedly the lines have been blurred a bit in recent years.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

When I was being filmed by the Beeb, I actually caught my own fish, on camera, on the day and at the time...so there :P:P

Some of us can do it :)

Den (one time famous angler)

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic