Famous anglers only catch those fish because...

Anderoo

He was obviously doing something different to me, or I'd have caught the big tench there too.

Was it not that he float fished the margins and you always use the ledger at range ? In all fairness Andrew you do seem to be obsessed with ledgering and seem to bypass the float.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was being filmed by the Beeb, I actually caught my own fish, on camera, on the day and at the time...so there :P:P

Some of us can do it :)

Den (one time famous angler)

Hi Den

What TV progamme did you appear on? Is it available on DVD or still shown on satellite TV?

Oh, and what fish did you catch? :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

my father saw a couple pf places he fished as a lad on a certain tv show..he went to the "celebrities" shop to request info on where it was because he couldnt remember and got a mouth full of abuse for his troubles! which goes to show that celebrity might not be the best way to go anyway!

we have a mill pool just up the road thats been on tv a couple of times (by the celeb above curiously enough)..the far side of the road is fishable with a nice lake etc but the mill pond side and stretch of river there is strictly no go!

having said that just down the road from my house is a superb mill and river section which the owner is more than happy to let you fish..if you only have the courage to go to his door and ask! sometimes thats all it takes! alot of these places get a "mystique" about them and rumours that nobody can ever fish them...but you never know for sure unless you ask for yourself!

Norfolk? Hmmmm. Must be the wonderful Wilson you refer to. I always heard he was a real sweetie.

Can't be easy being a celebrity and running a shop...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Me too - and it was at a place where anyone can go and fish.

Golden oldies Den, well, Golden something or other

Hiya Vagabond

What tv programme did you appear on? Is it still available and what did you catch?

I'm happy to conclude that famous anglers catch bigger and better fish than the average joes not because they're priveleged, but because they're just better.

Substitute top/good/expert for "Famous" and I would certainly agree.

I know Martin and he is a "top/good/expert" angler..........and unlike a lot of "famous" ones hes a nice guy as well. Yes he did have a head start having an uncle who is a "top/good/expert" angler and I'm sure he made the effort (oh that word again!) to learn as much/get as much from him as possible.......................but that effort and drive to do so is simply why he is where he is now (oh incidentally he started on another filming project the other day).

But haven't all successful anglers made that same effort to learn?................................ans haven't all non successful ones not?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

or fred bloggs doesn't get his pre baited swim nicked like normal people :D

also it quite often looks to me as if fred bloggs has negotiated some deal with a farmer to get exclusive rights to an unfished swim. some of my local beats are virtually unfished ever! that seems to help.

it had occured to me that the big names just apply themselves to their sport in the same way an athlete would, through luck or organisation they are able to dedicate much more time to the study and practice, and unless your a moron thats got to give you an edge

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

Was it not that he float fished the margins and you always use the ledger at range ? In all fairness Andrew you do seem to be obsessed with ledgering and seem to bypass the float.

No, not the case at all.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Den

What TV progamme did you appear on? Is it available on DVD or still shown on satellite TV?

Oh, and what fish did you catch? :)

TT I'm sure Den will be along soon to tell you all about his TV fame but I'm sure he will be far to modest to tell you that the reason he was on the program in the first place was because he was all ready a "famous"/well known/highly respected angler of his day. Den was a real "angling hero" in my youth and even though I would now like to regard him as a friend he still is one of my heroes.The "inventor" of the Darkin lay back cast (a fore runner of a lot of modern long distance casting techniques) developer of many different pieces of fishing equipment and a highly successful all round angler. A pretty influential guy on today's angling. His appearance on TVs Golden Maggot just acknowledging his fame rather than creating it,

Like I said I will leave him to give you the exact details as I got it a bit wrong a few years ago and he crucified me! :)

also it quite often looks to me as if fred bloggs has negotiated some deal with a farmer to get exclusive rights to an unfished swim. some of my local beats are virtually unfished ever! that seems to help.

it had occured to me that the big names just apply themselves to their sport in the same way an athlete would, through luck or organisation they are able to dedicate much more time to the study and practice, and unless your a moron thats got to give you an edge

erm.....i really should read entire threads before adding my two penneth worth shouldn't i? this has all been said already!

every days a school day!

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

That's a bit of an assumption (admittedly you can only go on what you read on here or the time you did visit us) Ian and not really true.