Prowla Platinum Drop Shot 7ft 5-28g - Anyone got one?

Hopinc

Just bought a load more stuff. I now have everything except a rod :rolleyes:

Rob, I was looking for exactly that a while ago and had a job finding them. The smallest hooks are about 2/0. There are a few here that might suit: http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/termin...s-c-56_107.html

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Rob,

A lot of the soft plastic bait hooks that we/I use originate in the U.S., they are quite large and designed for rigging either "Texas" or "Carolina" style.

See my picture of one that I have rigged up with a soft wire trace for Pike fishing. It has a hook sold under the "Owner " label, and the weight you see in front of it has a spring surrounding a protruding tube. This spring is "screwed" into the soft plastic bait to form a stream lined weighted nose that is nearly snag free.

Both Harris Sportsmail and AGMProducts have hooks that are similar and others that have "cast" on lead weights, coloured or not as desired, that should suit your requirements.

Here for instance: http://www.harrissportsmail.com/SearchResu...earch=jig+heads

If you get the chance, watch the Matt Hayes program where he is fishing soft plastics for Perch, it is sometimes repeated on SKY

Or have a look at this artical by the Angling Times:

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...tics-for-perch/

I hope this helps.

post-20982-1296137166_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

Got the rod ordered now, it's been quite a pricey day :) In the end I went for the Fox Dropshot Pro Z 2.4m. I've used one of these before and liked it, and it's a nice 'medium' length of just under 8ft. I think a 9ft rod would get tiring after a whole day. This one should be OK from the bank, after all I use little fly rods of 6'6" and 8'.

Will report back once I've got all the bits and tried it out.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Got the rod ordered now, it's been quite a pricey day :) In the end I went for the Fox Dropshot Pro Z 2.4m. I've used one of these before and liked it, and it's a nice 'medium' length of just under 8ft. I think a 9ft rod would get tiring after a whole day. This one should be OK from the bank, after all I use little fly rods of 6'6" and 8'.

Will report back once I've got all the bits and tried it out.

I look forward to that. Don't forget to post some pictures of the rod please.

On the subject of fly rods, I go down to 5ft 6in - I made own up a #3wt on a Thomas & Thomas Light Presentation Series blank 5 years ago and that is my all time favourite fly rod. When the undergrowth gets difficult I switch up to 7ft 6in, then 8ft 6" and finally to my 9ft Sage XP.

Don't know if you are at all interested but I have attached herewith a couple of pics of my T&T:

post-20982-1296139830_thumb.jpg

post-20982-1296140141_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

Mmm, very nice :)

Quite excited now. It's been a long time since I've tried anything completely new. One last thing to buy is some flourocarbon, once I know what type to get. I'm getting some advice on that later.

BTW those little rubber crayfish look interesting...

Mmm, very nice :)

Quite excited now. It's been a long time since I've tried anything completely new. One last thing to buy is some flourocarbon, once I know what type to get. I'm getting some advice on that later.

BTW those little rubber crayfish look interesting...

Anderoo could you Pm the flouro advice when you get it as i havent got a scooby which one to get and have heard some are much better knot wise than others plus i presume that it needs to be fairly stiff to prevent tangles [like most flourocarbon is anyway ]??Also where did you scource your rod?? and if you could let me know what the lottery nos for this Friday that would be most helpfull :P;) .

thanks in advance Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Anderoo could you Pm the flouro advice when you get it as i havent got a scooby which one to get and have heard some are much better knot wise than others plus i presume that it needs to be fairly stiff to prevent tangles [like most flourocarbon is anyway ]??Also where did you scource your rod?? and if you could let me know what the lottery nos for this Friday that would be most helpfull :P;) .

thanks in advance Steve.

Lottery numbers: 1,2,3,4,5,6, bonus ball 7 :)

I ordered the rod from here: http://www.total-fishing-tackle.com/

I bought my last bivvy from them, and they were excellent (I ordered the wrong one and had to send it back and swap it for a different one, and they sorted it all out very quickly).

I'll let you know about the flouro, it's the one thing I daren't buy before getting advice. I know the rest of the stuff is right, and don't want to make an expensive mistake with the leader material. I was told which one to get a while ago but I didn't write it down and then forgot it :rolleyes:

Lottery numbers: 1,2,3,4,5,6, bonus ball 7 :)

I ordered the rod from here: http://www.total-fishing-tackle.com/

I bought my last bivvy from them, and they were excellent (I ordered the wrong one and had to send it back and swap it for a different one, and they sorted it all out very quickly).

I'll let you know about the flouro, it's the one thing I daren't buy before getting advice. I know the rest of the stuff is right, and don't want to make an expensive mistake with the leader material. I was told which one to get a while ago but I didn't write it down and then forgot it :rolleyes:

Thanks for that and i may give those numbers a go ;) .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

As for which type of flourocarbon, I don't hink it matters much. I have some spools that were free on Fly Fisherman magazine covers that I intend to use first.

I have just order some Fox Soft Steel floating braided line from Harris' - I reckon it will be good for drop shotting and centre pin use as it is only 0.08mm in diameter.

Price for 125 metres of this 10.9lb b.s. line is £11.50 with free postage.

I have never used this make before, so I will let you know what I think. All my other braided line experience is with Power Pro, Spiderwire and Fireline.

Tight lines

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

Had my flourocarbon chat, I had misunderstood, before he was talking about zander. For perch you can apparently use anything really, with BS determined by how snaggy it is. I'll probably get a selection from 4-8lb. I already have suitable thin wire in case it's needed.

I've already seen a few more lures I ABSOLUTELY NEED and I don't even have a rod yet :rolleyes: