What material is your rod made of?

watatoad

I think people are getting the aesthetic pleasure that they get from using a cane rod mixed up with the performance. A key phrase stated by Vagabond is "Good cane does not take a set if looked after properly" you don’t need to look after composite rods properly, I have rods in the caravan that are chucked in wet a slimy after a days use yet when I take them out months later they are still the same; can you say the same for cane?

I have only ever broken one carbon rod and that is when it got caught in the car door, and that would of snapped any rod made of any material.

I don’t think this aesthetic view is just confined to solely to angling, Look at trains for example I am sure that working a steam loco up an incline with a heavy load is a wonderful experience, but is it as efficient as a modern electro diesel freight train? A Spitfire may be the most elegant fighter aircraft created but I would not want one defending UK Airspace instead of the more mundane Eurofighter.

I use cane for a number of reasons.

Aesthetics.

They balance my old reels well!

but, most importantly, I seem to catch more fish using cane rods than my friends do with carbon....call it better bite sensitivity if you like!.....then again, I seem to do better than them when we're fly fishing as well :rolleyes:

The main reason is that I think the feel of fighting a fish on a cane rod cannot be beaten by any other material and that is precisely why I stick with cane......and the reason I fish!

Lat year I landed a 35lb tope on a cane boat rod and an Alvey 'pin. Well balanced tackle and great fun.........Also had the largest share of bass (and largest fish) on the same day using an Allcock's 'Lightcaster' and a Mitchell 300, excellent fun!....even the skippers have stopped laughing at me now when I turn up on the boat with a cane rod! I must admit however, most of my sea fishing is done with carbon/composite/glass rods

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a fair selection of fly rods, from those built on the highest tech American carbon blanks, through old hardy fibreglass to split cane.

My favourite to cast and to play fish on is a 6'6" one piece 3wt cane rod, built on a blank from Chapman's special offer page. I have landed several double figure rainbows on it with no trouble.

I have powerful carbon carp rods built on Harrison blanks but my favourites are two 1.75lb TC rods that I built on Cono-Flex fibreglass blanks.

If I want to chuck a bait 100yds plus I will use the Harrisons but mostly I don't so I use the conoflex.

I also have a split cane avon style rod that I resurrected from an old chinese salmon spinning rod.

I have caught one fish on it. It's horrible!

Fishing should be about enjoying yourself. Use what makes you happy

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

you don't need to look after composite rods properly.

Well that says it all - the throwaway society.

I didn't expect that from a traditional Sword Dancer. Using the same reasoning as a steam loco being "less efficient than an electro-diesel", why not give your swords to the local museum, and dance over crossed Kalashnikovs ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Well that says it all - the throwaway society.

I didn't expect that from a traditional Sword Dancer. Using the same reasoning as a steam loco being "less efficient than an electro-diesel", why not give your swords to the local museum, and dance over crossed Kalashnikovs ?

Dave

I don't throw my carbon rods away after use I just don’t have to spend a great deal of time looking after them.

By the way We don't dance over our swords Scottish style, we hold them in our hands; both our sets of swords are very new much newer than AK47's. I would happily dance with carbon or composite blades, but the cost would be prohibitive.

The sprung steel blades we use, like cane, take a lot of looking after, if we could obtain a composite material, the low maintenance required would be an added attraction. Before anyone asks we do not use Stainless Steel as is not springy enough, so you could not do the moves in Rapper dance and in Longsword the locks (the star shapes), would fall out too easily

Look here for the sort of blades we use: http://www.rapper-swords.co.uk/

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Look here for the sort of blades we use: http://www.rapper-swords.co.uk/

Blimey ! looks like a surgical appliance :) and no, I don't want a demonstration of how it's used :)

RNLI Governor

Blimey ! looks like a surgical appliance :) and no, I don't want a demonstration of how it's used :)

Dave

Your never too old to learn, we are dancing down in Hastings this year come and see us I will get you up for a few moves.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Careful Dave, I just searched YouTube for rapper sword dancing and watched what they do, I reckon you could lose limbs! Bad enough doing Morris dancing at school and getting a stick across the knuckles without giving the maniacs swords!

:)

errr that "sword" to the eyes of a recluse look more like toilet pulls for the person with a chain fear ,what on earth is the bulbous bit at the end <_<

do rappers use swords? i though a knuckleduster and diamond teeth were the norm ,and i never heard you call to your better half with "yo bitch" dont people change over the years :o

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Careful Dave, I just searched YouTube for rapper sword dancing and watched what they do, I reckon you could lose limbs! Bad enough doing Morris dancing at school and getting a stick across the knuckles without giving the maniacs swords!

Thanks Steve, sounds good advice, especially since the only dance I could ever do was the Okey Cokey. At least at that, if "ya put yer left leg in" there was a good chance you got it back. :)

RNLI Governor