What material is your rod made of?

watatoad

I get my B.James RW MKIV Carp rod out and use it with either one of my centrepins. an Abu 55 or a Mitchell 300 whenever I feel nostalgic; but 90% of the time I prefer to use my Carbons.

The only Glass rods I have left are a small canal winklepicker, an Abu Fly rod and a custom made 11ft sea Bass rod and none of them has seen the light of day for many years.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not a carbon fan ,i think a rod should have some weight so it casts as well as you casting ,i hear nothing but annoying bloody "swish" sounds of anglers carbon rods trying to get a small float where i can with glass and me underhanding :rolleyes:

i also have more broken carbon rods chucked in the bushes than glass so i presume the extra effort needed breaks the rods?

i just had to look in my sea rod bag..

as an example i bought a lovely looking shimano lure rod ,pencil thin with a line cap of 6 to 15lb and a lure weight of up to 3/4oz ,looks brilliant but i can outcast it every time with an old fiberglass metal ferruled ABU lure rod using the same reel and lure ,theres something not right about carbon?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ah, now, they say that for short fly rods for small streams, the added weight (or rather weight to stiffness ratio I suppose) of a cane or glass rod is an advantage, because you can load the rod against its own inertia. They are also more resistant to impact damage. Hardy now sell fibreglass rods for small streams, a snip at £249 for a 5' #2...

I must admit that I would like eventually to own some nice cane rods for high days and holidays. Just the workmanship on some of the high end ones is stunning.

Been stuffed with a combination of constant rain and now my broken toe! BUT when I have been out its been great! only short (four hour max often less) sessions (which suits my health situation well it seems) and not had one over 3 1/2 yet but its great!

I love my Sharpe's fly rod it feels so different to any of my carbon rods (I have Orvis,Sue Burgess,Hardy as well as cheaper) I tried a Hexagraph (B&W) once that wasn't to bad (but I think the lack of weight is what actually affects the "feel"(?)) Will have to try your Orvis when I can take you up on that offer (long standing one now!) of a day on your local stream!

My "top end" fly rods are all some what old (20+ years) so maybe things have changed?

Yes maybe, this rod is about 5 years old, and when I bought it it was less than half price because it was the end of an old model and they were trying to get rid of them, so they could sell the new ones (I got it for about £110, RRP £245! by far the tiniest and most expensive rod I own!). I'm glad you've got some chubbing in! When you and Andrew come here for that day's chubbing (I haven't forgotten, just waiting for good conditions, it's a mess here at the moment) I'll bring the fly rod along if you like and you can have a look?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

:lol: :lol:

as i often say all that has changed in rods is its weight ,an old rod doesnt run out of catch ability a rod that caught brand new will still catch when its old they rarely wear out bar the rings which can be changed

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Absolute classic :thumbs:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

i started up angling again this year and began using nothing but a built cane rod and pin. the only reason i stopped using was because i felt maybe it was bullying the smaller fish. now (once i've finished re whipping it!) it will be my dedicated river rod, where i'm much more likely to knock into the bigger fish

the cane rod is heavy, slow to strike by modern standards and a bit dull with very small fish, but when i knock into something 1.5lb and bigger it just sings. a beautiful through action (if you hold it right!)

i have to say with my cane rod that just putting the rig together becomes a pleasure, and it has a full cork handle which seems to me in a float rod a very basic requirement.

still, when i go out for a spot of Dace/Roach bothering i now would only really consider my carbon rod .far fewer fish bounce off and thats better for me and the fish

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever