What material is your rod made of?

watatoad

Yes maybe, this rod is about 5 years old, and when I bought it it was less than half price because it was the end of an old model and they were trying to get rid of them, so they could sell the new ones (I got it for about £110, RRP £245! by far the tiniest and most expensive rod I own!). I'm glad you've got some chubbing in! When you and Andrew come here for that day's chubbing (I haven't forgotten, just waiting for good conditions, it's a mess here at the moment) I'll bring the fly rod along if you like and you can have a look?

:thumbs:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 2011 chaps, and there's this wonderful stuff about now called carbon :D

One of my little fly rods (a 6' 6" #2 Orvis something or other) is a carbon rod which has been built to have the action of cane. So it has that lovely flex to it, but instead of weighing a pound, the whole rod weighs 1oz :)

I do love the sense of tradition you get with cane, but for actual fishing it would irritate me pretty quickly I think.

PS Budgie, how's the chubbing going?

sometimes the ball ache inducing 'vintage' fad is about owning something that was made by a master craftsman, rather than just fad

my carbon rod was made in china, probably by peeved slave children. it definitely catches me more fish, and i enjoy owning it, but with the right components a dunce, or indeed peeved slave child could assemble the parts in as long as it took the epoxy to go off.

i suppose it's just horses for courses but if a high end company like orvis is, after hell knows how many years of carbon still trying to produce a rod that behaves like a built cane one i would suggest that that tell it's own story. fly fishing is after all the home of the most ridiculously priced stuff in the known universe and as far as i can tell those chaps are bigger 'tweakers' about their kit than most.

i never did work out how a cane fly rod at 6' could cost £1000 more than than an 11' course one, especially when fly rod tapers are so easy to access. course rod tapers seem to be something of a secret

any way now i'm just rambling. in defence of those who refuse to lay down their anachronistic, heavy and slightly slower striking built cane rod i would say...a thing of beauty is a joy forever

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

you dont want to have all of canes err benefits ,having to revarnish a rod very year (ok most you didnt but you ad to get through the closed season somehow! :D ) and the bloody feature of getting a dogs hind leg in the thin end because you forgot you left it leaning against a tree to dry for a couple of days and it set hopefully is long gone :D

i still have one remaining cane rod ,my first new rod i bought long ago a chapmans "the shelford" its in the loft ,......it can stay there had it not been my first ever rod i bought myself it would have been propping up plants decades ago.i will keep it my kids can use it to supplement skipping the rest of my crap out

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

you dont want to have all of canes err benefits ,having to revarnish a rod very year (ok most you didnt but you ad to get through the closed season somehow! :D ) and the bloody feature of getting a dogs hind leg in the thin end because you forgot you left it leaning against a tree to dry for a couple of days and it set hopefully is long gone :D

i still have one remaining cane rod ,my first new rod i bought long ago a chapmans "the shelford" its in the loft ,......it can stay there had it not been my first ever rod i bought myself it would have been propping up plants decades ago.i will keep it my kids can use it to supplement skipping the rest of my crap out

if you fancy digging it out for march time, when solvency kicks in again i'd love work out a deal

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

nooo its my inheritance for my kids i dont have any money so i'm stockpiling crap that may be worth something in the future

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

EBRC-home-page-graphic-fly.jpg

slight sound of jaw hitting computer desk

o.k. i knew when i was writing that post that fly rod makers have a 'next level' penchant for detail, and i suppose that justifies the price (sometimes)

one day i will own a rod like that, who knows, maybe even a fly fishing one

Edited by far bank stalker

but will you fish with one ,if i had something so pretty i wouldnt get it dirty ;) i have hundreds of reels i have never used but none very pretty :D

a few sessions and the thing of beauty starts to fade!

fishing probably not ,willing sex partner errr is the wife in? :D

Edited by chesters1