where would you fish given the opportunity ?

KAYC

Im just about to do a topic on whittley park because its an amazing place

One of the very few matches I've fished was at Whitley Park back in the 70's with the Leatherhead club. I came fourth with about 40lb of Crucians. One of the best sessions I can remember. I believe it's gone now, a really beautiful place, and the one I would love to go back to if only it were possible.

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the very few matches I've fished was at Whitley Park back in the 70's with the Leatherhead club. I came fourth with about 40lb of Crucians. One of the best sessions I can remember. I believe it's gone now, a really beautiful place, and the one I would love to go back to if only it were possible.

from what i can remember my dad (sadly no longer with us ) saying about the matches was that there were 2 lakes and you had to be drawn on the right one to win with over 100lb normally .

Not sure if thats right but it rings a bell

[Anderoo.

As for where I would choose (and asuming I can't go back in time - otherwise it would be the Wensum in its roach heyday, or Redmire in the company of Dick Walker), that's a good question...

Well Andrew it is redmire but we cant go back in time so I will have to make do with the three people I will be joining and just soaking up the atmosphere, maybe climb a tree or try for a gudgeon. :D

Edited by KAYC

Now the point of my question is, if you were given the chance to fish a venue for a long weekend nearly 200 miles away for a species you do catch but do not target exclusively and the chances of catching were remote but thinking about it bought out the mr crabtree in you would you take the opportunity. ? :headhurt:

I fish for pike on Loch Awe. If that isn't a description of what you're asking, I don't know what is.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

although I class myself as a fairly proficient pleasure angler whose first love is and always will be putting a stick float through a steady current I am always willing to try different methods and venues.

Since visiting wingham I have kitted myself out with numerous bits of kit for short session angling ( by the way Steve if you are reading this my new boss is much easier to influence and I am hoping to make the full fish in this year if I am lucky enough ) .

Now the point of my question is, if you were given the chance to fish a venue for a long weekend nearly 200 miles away for a species you do catch but do not target exclusively and the chances of catching were remote but thinking about it bought out the mr crabtree in you would you take the opportunity. ? :headhurt:

Ive spent many years making long drives (North, East, South and West of the UK) to try and catch fish that take my fancy and even just to fish in nice places.

I'm not sure why, but i just seem to have lost the drive to make that drive. Maybe i will get it back one day, but if i had a few days to do as i wish, I would probably spend it fishing locally.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I sometimes think that I aught to spread my angling wings wider. I have fished very few waters in southern England, Ardliegh in Essex and Wimbleball in Someret spring to mind, other than that nothing below the Shropshire meres.

I would like to have a try at catching a barbel, it's the only one of the 'main' coarse fish i haven't taken (no Zander nor Wels in the UK either but I have had 'em in Germany).

It should just take bit of organisation and the will to find out where to go, I suppose i'm a bit scared of bumbling around like a tourist.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I suppose I'm a bit scared of bumbling around like a tourist.

I thought you were ex-army??

Was that Dad's Army??.... ;)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

well,I did it... I drove the 200 miles to Redmire,set up and casted three baits into it`s magical water. cooker wouldnt work,bivvy heater wouldnt work, froze me bit`s off over night with - 4 degrees and ventured out of my bivvy at 8 am to find the place had a lid on it,completely frozen, packed up and drove the 200 miles home. worth it ? course it was although the wife has given me some grief. :D

I thought you were ex-army??

Was that Dad's Army??.... ;)

OK Andy, I shall rephrase that (remember a bit of my brain has gone AWOL), I am 'ex-army' and fearless to boot ;) , we frequently cross the border to plunder the lochs, even marching as far north as Awe, feeling quite comfortable there, it's just like here only a bit bigger. :D

What I meant and should have said, was that I would be uncomfortable and bothered about how much time I might waste bumbling around the Severn with ledgering gear, not knowing where to try, esp as walking very far isn't an option anymore .

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

OK Andy, I shall rephrase that (remember a bit of my brain has gone AWOL), I am 'ex-army' and fearless to boot ;) , we frequently cross the border to plunder the lochs, even marching as far north as Awe, feeling quite comfortable there, it's just like here only a bit bigger. :D

What I meant and should have said, was that I would be uncomfortable and bothered about how much time I might waste bumbling around the Severn with ledgering gear, not knowing where to try, esp as walking very far isn't an option anymore .

Emma, you don't have to head that far south for decent Barbel Rivers...

There's one that runs underneath that big flyover on the M6 near Preston!