Sinking

Leon Roskilly

I've read plenty about hanging flies up in the water using indicators, floating-putty or boobies etc.

And putting flies down deeper using intermediate/sinking lines and heavy flies etc.

And I've paste/spray products in my bag to help lines and flies to float or sink as required.

But nowhere have I heard any discussion about putting shot or lead-putty on a line/tippet, not even fine dust-shot.

Is this something that is simply not done, or something that should never be talked about (a bit like casting downstream)?

(If so I apologise for raising the question, please put it down to my ignorance rather than character).

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I've read plenty about hanging flies up in the water using indicators, floating-putty or boobies etc.

And putting flies down deeper using intermediate/sinking lines and heavy flies etc.

And I've paste/spray products in my bag to help lines and flies to float or sink as required.

But nowhere have I heard any discussion about putting shot or lead-putty on a line/tippet, not even fine dust-shot.

Is this something that is simply not done, or something that should never be talked about (a bit like casting downstream)?

(If so I apologise for raising the question, please put it down to my ignorance rather than character).

Just simply not done old chap!

But seriously.... the main problem with shot or putty is the effect that it has on presentation. It creates a 'hinge' in the tippet and can make casting an absolute pig...allegedly!

Try sinking leader lengths, these are weighted and work fine. You might find that some of the latest superfine multistrand wire trace materials do the job cheaper as well!

Of course, wrapping lead or copper wire around the hook shank before tying your fly is perfectly acceptable :rolleyes:

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Go and wash thy mouth out NOW :D

Leon,if you have 'favourite ' unweighted flies,why not try and get them with added bead heads.

Nothing to stop you putting a dust of even a number eight near the eye of the hook,it will/should act just the same as a bead head.Anything bigger and heavier might prove troublesome casting.Some of the available leadheads are a bitch to cast.

John Geirach reckons the difference between a good angler and a brilliant one is just one lead shot.

Very true when fishing nymphs in turbulent pocket water at short range, but the further you try to cast a weighted fly, the more awkward it gets. The method is not called "chuck and duck" for nothing.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

fishing floats in one thread, now lead shot in another! :o

What is the world coming to... :lol:

Incidently neither are allowed in competition angling. Nor are weighted flies/beadheads on the lakes, but they are in river competitions. Are you confused yet?? :P

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

I carry a box of no.8s with me when I go fly fishing; they are especially useful at the little tributary. A shot or two next to the fly can make a world of difference. I can't see why someone would get sniffy about that but would happily use a leaded nymph. Sometimes the nymph you want to use happens to be unleaded, but a little split shot or two sorts that out.

If you really want to annoy the purists, use a couple of split shot next to an unleaded nymph and fish it under a sight indicator :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cast downstream and with a blob on the point?

:)

Funny you should say that! I scratched out a single trout today at Farmoor on a blob...there's a no boobies rule, which I followed to the letter, although not to the spirit, but a blob like the one below on a short leader and sinking line with a bit of bouyant foam on the hook isn't a boobie is it? :D

Blob.jpg

God knows what the trout thought it was!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music