Building An Outboard Engine Stand

Elton

I was just searching for plans to make an outboard engine stand, as the only ones I can find on Ebay are for small engines.

Must admit, I was surprised by the honesty of the author in the opening paragraph on this page :o

Build an outboard motor stand

I think there may be a cultural difference in the meaning of one of the words there....

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

why bother just cut the top off a 50 gallon drum ,ideal for running the engine as well !full of water for rinsing it after sea trips,putting it in gear though is amusing.

can double as a giant ashtray/stick stand in your hall too.

my mate has two smallish ones on one of those old fashioned iron adjustable err scaffold plank supporting doodas ,they are very strong but he also has a chain to the middle from his outhouse wall to the center of the horizontal bar just incase it topples but it seems fine without..a bit of wood bolted to each side of the horizontal bar lets the engine rest better and it can be made firmer by doing up the outboards clamps.

he has a heavier version of this but these may do

http:

//cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-extending-scaffold...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUILDING-TRESTLES-WI...1QQcmdZViewItem

they are out of favour now because they are heavy so should go fairly cheap ,i left a pair at our old house :P

Edited by Elton

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Have a look at some of the sack barrows that are on sale, some of them can be used as an outboard motor stand, and you can wheel your motor about, I've got mine on one, its buried at the back of the garage otherwise I would post a photo

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

I was just searching for plans to make an outboard engine stand, as the only ones I can find on Ebay are for small engines.

Must admit, I was surprised by the honesty of the author in the opening paragraph on this page :o

http://www.thecottagechronicles.com/2007/0...otor-stand.html

I think there may be a cultural difference in the meaning of one of the words there....

When a criminal type breaks into my boat shed, the first thing they are going to see is my outboard motor stand....but no motor....see where I am going with this? Of course you do. The nefarious cottage criminal sees the stand, realizes it is for outboard motors, and figures "uh-oh...too late, he's taken his outboard motor home."

Are you sure you want to build one Elton? Seems almost like it would be inviting unwanted guests. :D

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

• 3 years later...

http://www.thecottagechronicles.com/2007/0...otor-stand.html

Hi Elton, as the author of the above link, http://www.thecottagechronicles.com/2007/0...ard-motor-stand from my blog, [url="http://www.thecottagechronicles.com[/url] I want to thank you for mentioning it here on this fabulous forum. For one thing, it enabled me to find this forum, which is loaded with information. Although I was being a little tongue in cheek in my comment about using an outboard motor stand as a decoy, I was only half kidding. I would use an outboard motor stand to work on an outboard, or perhaps move it, provided the stand had wheels, I wouldn't leave my outboard on it. For one thing, where we live in Canada, the camp is relatively remote, but yet quite reachable by car making it a target for burglars and thieves. The chances of a break-in are increased because it is a seasonal place that is not lived in year-round. Most of us lock our outboard motors on our boats, (particularly motors below 35 or 40 hp) and in many cases, mine included, chain our boats to nearby trees etc to discourage theft.

But back to outboard motor stands. I agree with one of the members of this board, that a steel barrel full of water works quite well as a stand for working on an outboard, as well as the commercially manufactured stands you can purchase. We use a barrel for engine tune ups off the boats.

Sorry, I am running on here, I only popped in to say thank you for your mention of my website. Now that I have found this one, I will be back.

Rob Dares

www.thecottagechronicles.com

Nova Scotia Canada

Gotta be one of those language perversions you folks are so fond of Elton because I read the article several times and the words all look normal and in context to me. :D :D

Welcome to Anglers' Net Rob.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Gotta be one of those language perversions you folks are so fond of Elton because I read the article several times and the words all look normal and in context to me. :D :D

Welcome to Anglers' Net Rob.

Its the f word Newt! The council gave me my stand, and I have a choice of Gray or Green!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Err, i think it's a 'c' word with Elton being so polite he doesn't wish to identify it, so i won't either. How about a little side wager. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Err, i think it's a 'c' word with Elton being so polite he doesn't wish to identify it, so i won't either. How about a little side wager. :)

Cottage?!! Cant see any other nasty C word?!

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Ow, gone from confident to semi now, i can't see what i was looking at the last time, so your in with a chance, Hurry up Elton we are in limbo here.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..