Just taken up fishing

SPSwallow

Hi, I have just been given a rod by my grandad and I am going to take up fishing in the Norfolk area, on the Broads and rivers etc, I could do with a few pointers on what setup to use for this area.

I'd like to fish mainly for Bream. What strength should the hook length be? Should the reel line be the same? I've read that size 18 hooks should be best. I also need to buy a reel but not sure what to get. I used to fish about 16 years ago but I have forgotton everything..plus my grandad used to set up the equipment. I went on a little trip recently and I can still remove a hook easily without harming the fish so that's ok. Thanks for your patience

It depends on your budget. I'd buy a low cost reel by a major manufacurer to start with, maybe Shimano or Daiwa. Both do useable reels at less than £20. Go and play with a few in a shop and see what feels most comfortable to you (put them on a rod handle).

Don't forget to get a fishing licence or the Environment Agency will slap you with £150 fine!

I think the first suggestion is to see if you can go with someone a bit more experienced. I recently got back into it after a 21 year break (bloody women!) and was quite unsure, especially as some things have changed. However, some have not and there's a fair few people on here who would agree that the old ways re the best!

At the very least a good reel as ColinW has said, some decent line and start from the basics. I would suggest a 3lb line and some 2.4lb hooklink or hooklength line, size 16 or 18 hook, waggler float and some shot and get some maggots. Go to a commercial lake, take a chair and a couple of rod rests and start fishing.

I think a book is in order and Aldi are doing a good freshwater fishing at the moment for £4. There's a Bob Nudd DVD on Waggler float fishing that I found very useful.

There's many different methods and disciplines of fishing but I think going back to your roots (if float fishing was your root, I'm only guessing) is the best way then you can decide if you want to learn other methods and build up your skills.

Let me know if your ever in the Peterborough area, I could try and pass on whatever I have learnt.

Have fun and enjoy being away from work and out of the house.

Cheers. I've just come back from the tackle shop with a Leeda freespin 3000. Seems ok. Is there any reason the hook length is different to the line on the reel?

I used to fish about 16 years ago but I have forgotton everything..plus my grandad used to set up the equipment. I went on a little trip recently and I can still remove a hook easily without harming the fish so that's ok. Thanks for your patience

I know opinons is divided on its merits but I do rate the 'Improve Your Course Fishing' magazine available from most larger newsagents.

Regularly has advice on basic things like how to cast, and what knots to tie.

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

I know opinons is divided on its merits but I do rate the 'Improve Your Course Fishing' magazine available from most larger newsagents.

Cheers to all. Is leger fishing, feeder fishing and quivertip fishing all the same?

Just got back from Aldi with a bag and book. The bag is really heavy duty good quality stuff, the strap clips are metal instead of plastic which usually goes brittle and snaps. The book looks really good as well. Good stuff for the money. I wouldn't mind getting the rod bag and the stool with rucksack attached as I haven't got anything to sit on. I'll have to wait until I get paid now though

Cheers to all. Is leger fishing, feeder fishing and quivertip fishing all the same?

Essentially yes as it involves either a weight or a container of food + weight on your line and then your hook bait. Al of this also means you watch your quivertip at the end of your rod for bite detection.

You can just use a lead weight, swimfeeder, block end feeder, method feeder, and more to provide the weight behind your cast and there are many different ways of attaching this to your mainline. You can also use PVA bags or string, boilies, hairigs, etc.

As per my previous post, start simple and move up from there. The suggestion from Rarepleasures about the Improve your course fishing magazine is a very good one as it keeps the basic skills but also introduces new ones as well.

Essentially yes as it involves either a weight or a container of food + weight on your line and then your hook bait. Al of this also means you watch your quivertip at the end of your rod for bite detection.

You can just use a lead weight, swimfeeder, block end feeder, method feeder, and more to provide the weight behind your cast and there are many different ways of attaching this to your mainline. You can also use PVA bags or string, boilies, hairigs, etc.

As per my previous post, start simple and move up from there. The suggestion from Rarepleasures about the Improve your course fishing magazine is a very good one as it keeps the basic skills but also introduces new ones as well.

Cheers, i've just ben to fetch that bag so i'll give it a read with a cuppa. Thanks for everyones help

I learned all the basics of fishing through the IMCF magazine as none of my family cared much for fishing so they couldn't really help me.

Join a library too I picked up great tips from fishing books.

Sites like this didn't exist when I took up fishing and most of the people on here will be only to willing to give you advice.

Try to stay away from commerical waters at first and learn about 'proper' fishing.