Just taken up fishing

SPSwallow

Is there any reason the hook length is different to the line on the reel?

The main reason is that if any part of your line is going to snap, it's going to be the hooklength. If the mainline snaps above your float/shot/etc, the fish will be lumbered with dragging it all around and maybe getting hopelessly snagged up. Also the thinner line aids bait presentation. I always use hi-tec or ultra-thin line for hooklengths, it's a bit more expensive than regular line but you can buy it in small spools specifically for use as hooklengths.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

If you are going to fish the Broads rivers near Yarmouth, and you will really need to head up beyond Stokesby, Herringfleet or Cantly, depending on which river you choose, you will find ledgering with or without swimfeeders is the method to choose. That book from Lidls is excellent by the way. Cherry Lane garden Centre on the Bradwell to St Olaves road is good for reasonable priced gear, part of the Lathams of Potter Heigham/Q.D. empire. If you are fishing the really fast rivers nearer Grot Yarmouth you will need to be quite primitive with your gear. Ten pound line and one to two ounce leads being the norm. Head further upstream and you can drop down to lighter gear. You could also visit Greens Pits near Belton if you fancy still water angling. Fritton Lake is also worth a visit. Some of the pits and small lakes near you are over-run by carpies who communicate by grunts though, just ignore them!

I think fruit loop is right by saying you could pick alot if you go with someone who knows a bit. I would imagine for the broads on 40-50 meter wide stretches of water you want a simple set up with 6lb mainline and 3-4lb hook length with a maggot feeder. Cast 3/4 of the way accross. As a general rule this works on most wide fairly slow moving stretched of river. the reason for the finer hook length is less for the fish to see at should have a lower diameter. and if you hook into weeds etc you wont loose all your tackle. The books will be a good starting point for learning the rig set up. Do not be shy to take a piece of line and a swim feeder into your tackle shop and ask them to show you how to set it up. Tackle shops are a great source of knowledge and it is in there interest to help you for repeat custom. I learned everything i know from the guys at the tackle shop by asking questions and then going out with them and then fishing for there team in matches. I still cant outfish the old goats though.

Hehe, I know what you mean, quite a few anglers seem to use grunt language. Can you ledger with a float rod?. I only have one rod, it is an ancient cork handled 2 piece rod passed down by my grandad. I used to use it as a child and into my teens on commercial fisheries. I think I caught a 2lb Bream on it once but i'm not sure what weight it can take. I might have to buy another

Hehe, I know what you mean, quite a few anglers seem to use grunt language. Can you ledger with a float rod?. I only have one rod, it is an ancient cork handled 2 piece rod passed down by my grandad. I used to use it as a child and into my teens on commercial fisheries. I think I caught a 2lb Bream on it once but i'm not sure what weight it can take. I might have to buy another

Nothing wrong with old equipment. A previous record holder Chris Yates caught his 51lb carp on an old cane rod. Watch "A Passion For Angling" and you'll see him bring in 20+lb'rs with a split can rod and 50 year old reel.

You can ledger with a cane float rod, but you might ruin it. When you say two piece I'm guessing that it might be quite short, meaning that it is possibly a spinning rod, 2 meters long or so, and for river ledgering not perfect but quite usable. Some of the cheap John Wilson rods like the Prime series are great value if you are looking to buy. Have a chat with those nice people in the Gorleston Angling Centre about where and how.

By the way, some cane rods are worth quite a few pounds, what's the makers name of yours?

Edited by Peter Waller