Taking a coarse fish for the pot

tiddlertamer

Many people who post on this forum support the idea of taking a coarse fish for the pot.

If readers listen to the views of a Guardian columnist, those who support this idea may well end up having a lot of competition, when it comes to filling up their dinner plates...

See the following link to an article on the Guardian website:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wor...ater-fish-fight

Views please!

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i beleave in our right too if we wish too eat the odd fish (and abiding with bylaws) when needed ,but too openly encourage everyone too go out and do it wholesale is just irresponsible .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Many people who post on this forum support the idea of taking a coarse fish for the pot.

If readers listen to the views of a Guardian columnist, those who support this idea may well end up having a lot of competition, when it comes to filling up their dinner plates...

See the following link to an article on the Guardian website:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wor...ater-fish-fight

Views please!

What with cormorants and otters and even beavers soon , it wouldnt take long for the rivers and lakes to be emptied if we started along this irresponsible suggestion.

Think about it , how vast the oceans are and how relatively fast they have been decimated of food fish , now think about the amount of inland water we have in comparison and you can see that it wouldnt take long before fishing became something we used to enjoy .

I know its only a suggestion at the moment and only the odd fish here and there , but it doesnt take long for things to become commonplace as more and more and more people aqiure the taste and what was once a treat suddenly becomes a habit . :nono:

Edited by tony tinca

Since when did beavers start eating fish? :unsure:

Sorry your right

Beavers do not eat fish.

Most of the beaver's diet is made up of tree bark and cambium, the soft tissue that grow under the bark of a tree. They especially like the bark of willow, maple, birch, aspen, cottonwood, beech, poplar, and alder trees. Beavers also eat other vegetation like roots and buds and other water plants. The beaver has a specialized digestive system that helps it digest tree bark :oops:

Don't forget seals. I heard that on wet nights seals can cross land to get into different rivers and lakes, and once there they eat everything and then move on to the next. Scapegoats also eat a lot of fish, watch out for them. The idea of people actually eating fish is ludicrous, if people had ever eaten fish there would be no fish left today. An old boy in Norfolk gave me some grave advice a year or so ago, he advised me to criss-cross lots of strong fishing line around garden ponds to trap any herons that may visit, and then helpfully informed me that they could be beaten to death with a pool cue. Sound advice I think, and can be applied in general to any piscivorous hellbeasts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Our cat ate downstairs' goldfish once. And that was a very well-fed cat. Imagine the damage that hordes of half-starved feral moggies could do if they discovered these over-stocked commercial puddles that are only about 18" deep?

Can't see anything irresponsible about the artcle at all, maybe the myth perpetuating reference to man eating pike wasn't necessary.

Seems to offer good advice about which species might need more careful cooking, feel sorry for old rubber lips though, out of the frying pan and into the fire otters jaws.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Can't see anything irresponsible about the artcle at all, maybe the myth perpetuating reference to man eating pike wasn't necessary.

Seems to offer good advice about which species might need more careful cooking, feel sorry for old rubber lips though, out of the frying pan and into the fire otters jaws.

Dont get me wrong ive nothing against the responsible angler taking a fish every now and then , ive done it myself with a pike and apart from the hassle of bones it tasted alright .

I think it would be sad to see people in the future taking up coarse fishing just to catch food because of an article encouraging it started a ball rolling years beforehand.