Taking a coarse fish for the pot

tiddlertamer

Have no fear.

British diners are the most ignorant on the planet. The simple fact that most people would happily buy a Cod fillet at 5 or 6 times the price of a similarly-sized piece of perfectly tasty Pollack just demonstrates that we, as a nation are entirely unwilling to accept that there are other fish other than Cod and Haddock.

Nobody from this country is suddenly going to give up their deep-fried piece of Haddock for a fillet of Carp. It isn't going to happen.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have no fear.

British diners are the most ignorant on the planet. The simple fact that most people would happily buy a Cod fillet at 5 or 6 times the price of a similarly-sized piece of perfectly tasty Pollack just demonstrates that we, as a nation are entirely unwilling to accept that there are other fish other than Cod and Haddock.

Nobody from this country is suddenly going to give up their deep-fried piece of Haddock for a fillet of Carp. It isn't going to happen.

Spot on Andy

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Have no fear.

Thinking about it like that your right , our sense of adventure around food is very ignorant indeed and we tend to stick to what we know . Any talk of muddyness to coarse fish will put people off for sure. If it sounds wrong and looks wrong then it will taste wrong is the general opinion .

Panic over :rolleyes:

Just read my signature!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Yes all well and good, but of course if all anglers took their catch.. :rolleyes: .well I guess you might want to change your signature...along the lines of why didn't anyone stop me :D

Seriously, the Roach population on the Severn had been dcimated by the Black Death Cormorants, Iron Bridge used to be full of Roach now they are a rarity, there are of course many more examples..Teme, Otter / Mink predation on a huge scale, add to that the Ouse and many other Rivers, fish stocks are in decline, I am afraid eating what we catch ain't gonna help much is it?

Yeah..as usual blame the cormorants etc for decimated fish stocks. Are you sure the fish arn't still there but your unable to catch them with you being just an average joe angler ?

Far to much rubbish about cormorants, goosanders etc from plonkers with no idea of how nature works.

I don't think Worms is a cormorant. I'm sure he, at most, takes a couple of grayling or trout on occasion for hi din-dins. He's hardly going to decimate anything, other than the odd cuppa and an Abernethy biscuit.

Besides, I've already explained why most freshwater anglers won't eat what they catch and we've been professing' catch and return' for long enough for most anglers to know that fish stocks aren't inexhaustible. Instant upload cameras have also got a lot to do with fish conservation. Now even the average idiot can take a picture of their prize catch and upload it for the world to see in a matter of hours.

I really think this subject has little value. Even many of our friends from abroad are getting the message that catch and release is the way to go.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Hopefully the price of the rod license + club membership fees and tackle costs will be sufficient to put the general public off this idea. I can't though forgive the attempt at perpetuation of this myth of "Pike attacks man" - that does nothing for the authors credibility.

I don't mind people taking an odd fish, providing they are going to eat it and not just discard it. If too many are taken though there will be none left to breed the next generation - food for thought perhaps (pun intended).

I personally don't kill fish unless the rules enforce it, i.e. at some put and take trout fisheries. Unlike native species, the rainbow trout very very rarely breeds in our waters, so most of these fish are triploids (sexless) anyway.

Frankly, and I may be being slightly self-centred here, I hope this article dies a quiet death.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

Think I'd have to be starving before I took coarse fish to eat whether it's legal or not. Usually put sea fish back as well (except for Mackerel which don't survive anyway). I fish purely for the pleasure of catching them. Daft innit :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton