Getting started

Jeff S

I recently moved from the US and currently reside in N Yorkshire. I have been fishing for most of my life. In the States, fishing as a non- resident costs a great deal more than it would if you were a resident to that state. In short, are there any extra fees required with the permission/permit and rod fees for an American out of his element? (I've never seen Carp listed as a gamefish) I have read the bylaws and they aren't much different from the States. In fact they seem quite a bit more conservative.

Cheers

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

welcome to AN ,you need a rod license to use your rods in the uk (available at the post office)as long as you have an address youl get a license ,this covers 2 rods ,the ordinary coarse one covers carp etc ,but if you want to fish for game fish (in season) then youl need a game license ,the difference to the U.S. is that ALL water is owned by someone ,so youl need a club permit or a day ticket for that water ,a lot of waters (inc rivers) are only fisherball with permission of the landowner (riparian owner) who you will have to find and ask :( (good luck).

your local tackleshop will have details for clubs and day ticket waters in your vicinity have a chat with them ,also study the byelaws on the permit for what and whats not allowed i.e our club has brought out a new byelaw making it obligitory to have an unhooking mat with you WHATEVER fish you fish for :)

[ 02. November 2002, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

big al:

all good stuff chesters,just wanted to say welcolme to this site.as chesters has already stated i would start at the local tackle shop.cheers big al

Chesters and Big Al, thank you for such a warm welcome and timely reply! I have found great information here at this site. I live right next to River Ure and can't wait to wet a line. From what I can gather there are quite an assortment of fish to be found. Not very often, (at least in the States) do you find trout and salmon in the same fisheries as pike. I brought tackle but no rod. Interesting tactic eh? I'll try some of the techniques my grandfather taught, (during the season of course) and hope to learn from you all as well. One thing that I find different is the bylaw for trout and salmon in which you can't use more than one rod. Who has time to attend more than one when aiming for fish as finicky as these two? Thanks again!

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

dvarcet, welcome to the forums mate. You'll enjoy it and you never know may even get some sense out of some people on here, :D:D but maybe not. :D Seriously every one on here will do their best to help you with any thing that they can.

Enjoy.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

One thing you should know, coming from The Land Of The Free as you do, is that our rivers aren't! ALL fishing in any non-tidal waters is owned by someone and you need to get permission to fish else you risk a poaching & trespass charge! Your national licence gives you the right to fish - it doesn't actually give you the right of access to any waters however (barring a few limited exceptions). Most fishing is rented to fishing clubs or is available on payment of a daily fee, but you do need to find out before you go. Best bet is to visit your local tackle shop & ask.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.