Overstocking in the pond

wotnobivvy

My fish in the pond are raather too good at propagating the species. Thus I am starting to get a bit worried that there will be too many in there soon. Apart from netting and knocking a few on the head is there any way to humanely reducing the stock levels <_<

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

My fish in the pond are raather too good at propagating the species. Thus I am starting to get a bit worried that there will be too many in there soon. Apart from netting and knocking a few on the head is there any way to humanely reducing the stock levels <_<

my thought would be to put a couple of perch in there to keep the number of fry down , im no expert on pond keeping thou , but im sure a fellow member will offer the right advice.

Eat them? B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• 2 weeks later...

A few perch as already said will help keep your stock at current levels.

Could join the Practical fishkeeping forum and I'm sure someone local will take a few young 'uns off your hands.

Due to quarantining laws/procedures, you may be turned down at your local stockist but its worth a pop.

You could also enquire at your local commercial for release but again, law/quarantine procedures may get in the way.

What species are we talking about primarily?

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

The little breeders are mainly goldfish variants. The Orfe, Mirror Carp, and Tench don't seem to be interested

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Whatever you do do not put them into a River.

Find a local fisheries owner and ask if you can input surplus stock there..

As to introducing Perch..IMO you should not...they can grow very fast and threaten the adult stock as well as the Fry.

You can ensure quarentine status by keeping them in a large Tank full of Salt Water, i.e Cooking Salt.

The Salt Water kills off almost all diseases, pests and parasites.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/aquarium_salt.htm

Edited by Now there's a right un.