elasticating a whip

Craig Robins

Haven't a clue - but I'm sure you'll get a reply from someone who does - I'm just horrified that a tackle shop would try and rip ypu off like that - how's about naming and shaming!!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Craig, Because the whip is probably all telescopic you would be better off just elasticating the top section, otherwise it wll be a pain when you collapse it.

You'll need a bung - conical peice of plastic that sits inside the bottom of the section to anchor the elastic, elastic - no. 5 should be about right - this will handle fish upto a couple of pound. Lastly a connector to fix your rig to.

Fix the elastic to the connector with a double overhand knot and fix to the bung using the same knot - this time leaving a large loop. The loop acts as an extra shock absorber, effectively double the tension.

The elastic should be set with sufficient tension to retract back in a crisp manner, not hang out of the end.

It helps if you give the elastic a good stretching first.

All told it may cost you £5 to £6, so providing the shop give you the full spool of elastic - not just the piece they use - it may be worth spending the tenner and watching the process, better still buy the items from them and ask them if they will help you to elasticate it. If they refuse go elsewhere!

hi craig i'm shocked your tackle shop want to charge for the elastic,i just told the nice man in my local shop i had'nt a clue and smiled,(well i was in my uniform at the time) and he showed how to do it,also whilst away on hols last week,my hubby bought me a 6m whip the shop in norfolk just did it so name and shame,they should be encouraging you,then you would return and buy other things.

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

But to be fair, if the price includes elastic,connectors and bung, then a tenner is not so bad. The guy has to earn a living.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

He was only charging a tenner to do it without the elastic, connector or bung! thanx for the replys everyone.

By the way will i have to cut off the eye? and how do i get the bung in because it wont fit through the top!!!!! i Know im probably stupid!!

At the bottom of the whip there is a unscrew cap which all the teloscopic pieces fall out of so do i insert the bung up the top piece?

Craig - have a look at these links

Floats Direct

Course (!) Fishing

Paul Broad

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Hi Craig,

hope you read the answer I gave to your last post, but if you're still determined to press ahead, here goes.

First buy a bush of a size that your elastic will easily go through; i.e if using a size 6 elastic, then get a bush that will accept a size 10. Very gradually cut the tip back, say 2 inches at a time until the bush will just fit inside the tip. Next, take your whip apart and find a base bung that will fit inside the bottom of the section before the tip, if the sections are short, then try the next section down, ideally you will need to have around six feet of elastic inside the tip. Next, get a diamond eye threader to pull the elastic through the tip and tie with an overhand knot onto the base bung. At the tip end, tie on a stonfo connector with another overhand knot with the elastic under very slight tension. You can now put the tip back through the whip from the base and are ready to fish. It may be that in your first session, you need to trim a little of the elastic to stop the 'droop', just pull out the stonfo and re-tie six inches further back.

Good luck and if you enjoy this, then buy a proper pole next. It will be far easier to use!

Steve

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk