Fluted Floats

Paul_D

I'm going to buy myself some handmade fluted Avon type floats this Winter. A search of Google has thrown up a couple of guys who make them and very nice they look too. Have any of you bought and used any of these or other float makers ones and which do you recommend?

Thanks

Paul

Fluted Avons, that takes me back a bit. Are you sure they're not antiques? They will work I'm sure but there must be more efficient floats now.

Steve

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

No they are brand spankers and, as I say, they look very good too if a little large. I have it on good autority from Alan Roe that they'll trot through a turbulent flow in a rock solid manner and I fancy giving it a go this winter.

Paul

They are what I use most of the time however if you can get them made up ask for alloy wire stems as this further enhances the stability of the float.

We tend to make our own, the hard bit is locating alloy wire in 18s gauge

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Regrettably stainless is not what is needed its alloy which gives the best compromise between stability under the float and shot carrying capacity for casting.

Yes they are superb for dealing with upstream winds and the sorts of boily water that is so typical of spate rivers

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Thanks fellas, I'll pass on attempting to make them myself. I wouldn't have a clue where to start and anyhow after buttering up my wife for ages she let me buy an expensive American vice but now complains that I should be tying more flies and not still buying them....I daren't start up another project...

Paul

Hells teeth lad if you want to start fly dressing you have my number ....ring me I will teach you one of my former pupils is now one of the finest fly dressers in England and probably Europe, most will have never heard his name but he is Alan Bithell His work is superb but not cheap but the best never is.....

I am proud to say I taught him and he is proud to speak of his tutor which is as it should be....

Fly dressing is easy and a lot of fun and if you want to learn I am happy to show you

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for that Alan, I'm not a total novice at fly tying. What I meant was I'm not a prolific tyer. I wish I could sit at the bench for six hours like some but six flies is about the limit of my patience....There's nowt like using your own though is there?

Paul