Fluted Floats

Paul_D

Thanks fellas, It's the Chris Lythe floats which have caught my eye before. Has anyone used them? I think I'll buy myself a few anyhow....what the hell, the romantic in me can see them trotting down the river on a cold, crisp winters day.

Paul

The floats from traditional angling look fine but they are twice the price they are from the maker. I can't remember who makes them but he did have a website which I once came across searching for traditional floats.

I have several Chris Lythe floats. They are ideal on big fast flowing rivers (not your southern drainage ditches) as they take quite a bit of shot. Chris is doing a new Reg Righyni float for shallower water which I hope to receive shortly.

Other people who make floats are Dave Stewart, Paul Cook (advertises in Waterlog), and someone called Farmer from Scarborough. I am not sure how to contact these and I have not used any of their flosts.

Hi All,

Just a little bit of further of info regarding fluted floats.

The Chris Lythe fluted floats are called CJH Ribble floats. Chris Hoska originally designed them for long trotting on the middle reaches of the Ribble.

I discussed these floats with Chris (Lythe) and he’s modifying some more for me by extending the alloy stem to increase there stability in very boily water and giving me them in different tip colours –black tips & white tips.

The Reg Righyni floats are pretty good not exactly like Reg’s (I’ve a couple of his originals) but they’ll be fine under the right conditions.

As an aside I’m just increasing the range of floats sold by the Grayling Society (I’m Equipment Officer for the society) The increased range include fluted floats with crow-quill, cane and alloy stems if anyone interested e-mail me and I’ll send you the list of what’s available and they are at very reasonably prices and the quality is excellent. Profits from the sales assist in the extensive education & conservation work that the society undertakes.

Hi Nigel what are your plans for this winter? There’s a little group of us (Fred, George & myself) waiting for the rivers to get into some order before we start – it’s a bit difficult trotting between the sheep at the moment anyhow they don’t fight particularly well.

Cheers

Duncan

• 6 years later...

At £1.50 each, these don't look bad.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

hey ,I know that trader he's very good and is a great sourse for float making materials .well worth bookmarking his shop in e-bay .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve