Amazing!

Jeff S

Dvarcet:

Wife won't let me keep them so I figure a nice catch, photo and release might be a nice way to document them.

With the exception of trout & salmon, nearly all fishing in the UK is catch & release. Indeed, on the vast majority of waters if you're found killing fish you will not be popular and may well find yourself removed from the venue & thrown out of the club! Kill a big pike or even worse *gasp* a carp and you'll find yourself getting a dishonourable mention in the angling press!

Some venues will allow the odd pike to be taken, but in general they're not common. There are many reasons for this attitude, but mainly I think it's down to the pollution we used to have and the fact that the sheer number of anglers on a small island means that sustainable harvest is not realistic.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Thanks for that bit of information. I read the bylaws but don't recall it being stated about catch and release. It's better that way isn't it? At least you know what sort of fish you are getting into for one. Is this something that is in place specifically for the water you are fishing? I'd rather not make headlines and had no intention of taking any home. Making idle conversation I suppose. The wife being a good Catholic doesn't much care for fish. Now she'll kill me for saying that.. lol

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

The bylaws only cover the fishing law. A riparian owner (ie the person that owns the fishing rights (and the fish in the case of a lake)) can impose whatever rules they want as regards the fishing, provided they fall inside the bylaws. Under the law it is prefectly legal to take fish, but if you don't have the permission of the owner you could find yourself being done for poaching and/or theft.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Dvarcet - if you assume it is all C&R, you will be safe. If they are released in good shape.

Barbless hooks are usual most places. Landing nets are supposed to have a soft, fish-friendly mesh. Unhooking mat is pretty well essential. Likewise some sort of tool for removing a deep-hook (unless it is really deep in which case, cut the line).

My suggestion is to make a trip or two with one of the folks from this list. They are equipped properly for UK customs and can quickly show you how to fish without getting folks mad at you.

One big problem for a transplant I think is the amount of stuff they "assume everyone knows" or if the angler isn't on the internet, that they assume is the norm world wide.

High on the list of important things that are totally different UK vs. US is that somebody owns darn near all the water in the UK. UK rules are that if you own the land, you own to (I think) the center of the water too. And also in many cases, own the fish. So taking a fish without permission of the owner is theft. If you search the archives here you will see some great discussions clarifying exactly what the rules are. For instance, rivers are different than lakes are different than tidal rivers.

One big advantage for you in fishing with a regular from this forum is there have been enough US guys posting for long enough that we have discussed the differences and he/she would be likely to know the general areas where you need to be educated in UK angling ways.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

a few words are outlawed on the banks ,on catching a specimin fish shouting "yyeeehhhaaaa" or "geeeewilikkers look at the size of this mother funner " or " shucks the mother funner snapped me up" also sitting round fires singing songs about cowboys without any friends whilst eating beans and reffering to the resident rats as "varmints" or "critters" will only get stares of disbelief ,as for swear words we brits have far better and far older ones ,use them heartilly :D:P

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, you obviously haven't been to many carp lakes recently, I sometimes get more enjoyment from listening to the shouting and swearing, than I get from the fishing, specially when one of them is trying to get the extra few yards "needed" to reach the fish. "CRACK" "F****t"......"Oi, watchit wiv those leads mate"

Repeated at 10 minute intervals until the guy runs out of 4 ounce leads.

highly entertaining, :D:D

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I get a kick out of the "choice" words that are used. Haven't heard many and some of those I'm not sure I want to repeat. Unless the bloke (like that?) was bigger than I. I once had the luxury of cursing at a drunk bloke (there's that word again) who had wrapped my fireline around his prop. I was fishing off a pier at the time. Needless to say I released the bail on about 150 yards of line onto his prop. He was too close to the pier.. I'd have liked to see his face when he was sober.. It's amazing how you always remember curses no matter what language.. Mother funner being one of them?? lol

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...