Amazing!

Jeff S

Evening! I had the luxury of finding Harrogate Angling Supply this morning and found quite a bit of information. I have never seen poles so large, with corks (the floats) that are so small. I was told some of the floats are used to "fine tune" pasting? Using a treble apparently you get a strike by either the float going under or rising. Most impressive! Learn something new everyday. What was more, the size of the fish to be found here. 30+ pike and HUGE carp! I'm almost frightened to go : )

On a different note, how do you fish during the winter when ice is abundant? I've read stories about breaking the ice but that seems hardly practical when it would seem you have to run the banks. Pike, I thought tend to roam by themselves. My plan was to fish soft plastics and lures. Rather not use dead or live bait if I don't have to.. Any ideas?

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

if you have to break the ice the temperature is usually freezing ,repeated casting will cause ice to form in your rings and can cause great annoyance ,try a local river ,you keep warm by travelling light from swim to swim and the icy ring problem is less pronounced :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Good point Chesters! I've been fishing for so long in warm waters (Texas and Mississippi) that I forgot what happens when it gets cold. By the way its pretty cold here in Ripon. The river Ure is a stone throws away so I'll be trekking there. A swim I take it is equivalent to a hole likely to have fish. Forgive my ignorance, I'm still getting used to buggery, bl**dy, bugger off, and bastads.. lol

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hello Dvarcet

You wouldn't be one of our trans-atlantic cousins would you? Working at strange places near harrogate?

"Forgive my ignorance, I'm still getting used to bu**ery, bl**dy, bu**er off, and b'stads.. "

Hi Dvarcet and welcome , just out of curiosity are you finding the English version of bu**ery to your liking? :D:D

[ 08. November 2002, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Alan Roe ]

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Guest NickInTheNorth

Having now taken the time and trouble to look at your recent posts, I see that you are from over the pond.

What type of fishing are you used to?

What would you like to do?

There is a great variety of fishing available within North Yorkshire, and the Ure offers most types of fishing available in the UK.

Dvarcet:

On a different note, how do you fish during the winter when ice is abundant? I've read stories about breaking the ice but that seems hardly practical when it would seem you have to run the banks. Pike, I thought tend to roam by themselves. My plan was to fish soft plastics and lures. Rather not use dead or live bait if I don't have to.. Any ideas?

You'll find that there aren't that many occasions when everything gets iced up. Even in a cold winter there'll probably only be a couple of weeks in December or January when the ice restricts you, and even then the rivers will be OK. In a mild winter it may only be a couple of days, if that!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

quote:

You wouldn't be one of our trans-atlantic cousins would you? Working at strange places near harrogate?

Which look like very peculiar Golf Balls?

Paul

Boy trying to stay on last night was a bugger in itself! I think I have the sense of humour down pretty well but some things tend to be beyond me. Haven't been told to bugger off yet but I'm sure that will come with time! I am used to fishing in brackish water for redfish (red drum), croaker, sea trout (not steelhead), flounder and black drum. Salt water- red snapper, mackeral, cobia, and white and black tip shark. Most of which were not very large. Mostly being non-finicky and pretty easy to catch. We almost always used dead or live bait. The drawback was you never knew what you were going to catch! Fun either way! As for working in the UK, I'd have to say no. Looking for work actually, but not too concerned with it.

What I would like to do is catch fish. Wife won't let me keep them so I figure a nice catch, photo and release might be a nice way to document them.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...