Difference between quivertip and lure rods

davedave

However, I have taken many jack pike and perch on my quivertip during roach fishing sessions when I have been 'piked out' simply by taking the rig off and replacing it with a wire trace and a small plug

I think the reason you get away with that is because plugs don't rotate. The retrieve remains constant, so line-twist is far less likely to present itself.

If you did more spinning, in the proper sense of the term, where the lure is constantly rotating, I think line-twist would be a problem.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

If you did more spinning, in the proper sense of the term, where the lure is constantly rotating, I think line-twist would be a problem.

Their are swivels at either end of the wire trace. I wasn't just tying on a length of wire, I carry pre-made traces in the little lure box.

Their are swivels at either end of the wire trace. I wasn't just tying on a length of wire, I carry pre-made traces in the little lure box.

As Andy said any amount of spinning even with the use of 2 swivels will lead to line twist. The basic swivel is a poor imitation in stopping line twist. Far better to invest in ball bearing swivels and use an anti kink vane or lead. Even then some line twist will occur.

Oddly enough, there's a counter-argument, that all those little rings will keep the twist at the lure end, rather than the reel end, of the system.

Get empirical, suck it and see, and report back.

It might be a good idea to try it with braid first, then at least you'll get SOME fishing in if my hypothesis proves to be a load of spheroids...

As Andy said any amount of spinning even with the use of 2 swivels will lead to line twist. The basic swivel is a poor imitation in stopping line twist. Far better to invest in ball bearing swivels and use an anti kink vane or lead. Even then some line twist will occur.

Guys, you have confused me, what has line twist got to do with using a quivertip rod rather than a spinning rod?

Confused me too so hopefully someone will explain.

The suggestion about using high quality ball bearing swivels is excellent though. They do a much better job than the crane or other (cheaper) styles without ball bearings.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guys, you have confused me, what has line twist got to do with using a quivertip rod rather than a spinning rod?

I already explained that bit. It's the fixed spool rotor Vs. the action of a spinner that creates line twist with so many small rings.

I tried using the Avon section of my 10 foot rod with spinners before and it became quite apparent that the size of the rings was the problem. As soon as I use a rod with less rings that are bigger in size, the problem goes away.

Swivels don't solve everything.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Thanks Andy.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President